Homemade feed

CKfarm22

Crowing
Jul 8, 2021
Central NJ
I read a tik tok where a lady has 30+ chickens and she makes her own feed. She adds corn, wheat, barley, milo, oats, sunflower seeds and boon/meal worms. Has anyone ever made their own feed? I’m worried about the protein part. Thanks!

1644415974669.png

I read a tik tok where a lady has 30+ chickens and she makes her own feed. She adds corn, wheat, barley, milo, oats, sunflower seeds and boon/meal worms. Has anyone ever made their own feed? I’m worried about the protein part. Thanks!
If you are talking about "Garden Betty", DON'T DO IT.

If your questiuon truly is "Has anyone done it"? regarding *almost anything* to do with chickens, the answer is YES! and as @Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay suggests above, a quick use of the Search engine will demonstrate the veracity of my claim.

Now, the questions you didn't ask...

Can you save money making your own feed? Probably not. Particularly for the typical backyard flock.

Can you make a nutritionally superior feed at similar price point to whatever target niche need you have (Organic, Soy-Free, Gluten-free, non-GMO, Vegan, etc)? Probably not. Particularly for the typical backyard flock, with the knowledge of a typical backyard owner.

Is Protein the only thing you need to worry about? ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Are there people here in BYC who will help me if I want to go down this road anyways? Yes - though the more they know about feeding birds, the less likely they are to recommend you embark on doing it.

Get yourself a bag of All Flock/Flock Raiser crumble from one of the big commercial companies (Purena, Nutrena, etc), feed all your birds that, all of their lives, regardless of gender, age, or whether or not they are currently laying or in molt. Have a seperate dish of oyster shell available, free choice, and a similar dish of grit. Keep plenty of fresh clean water on hand for them. Problem solved.

If you are talking about "Garden Betty", DON'T DO IT.

If your questiuon truly is "Has anyone done it"? regarding *almost anything* to do with chickens, the answer is YES! and as @Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay suggests above, a quick use of the Search engine will demonstrate the veracity of my claim.

Now, the questions you didn't ask...

Can you save money making your own feed? Probably not. Particularly for the typical backyard flock.

Can you make a nutritionally superior feed at similar price point to whatever target niche need you have (Organic, Soy-Free, Gluten-free, non-GMO, Vegan, etc)? Probably not. Particularly for the typical backyard flock, with the knowledge of a typical backyard owner.

Is Protein the only thing you need to worry about? ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Are there people here in BYC who will help me if I want to go down this road anyways? Yes - though the more they know about feeding birds, the less likely they are to recommend you embark on doing it.

Get yourself a bag of All Flock/Flock Raiser crumble from one of the big commercial companies (Purena, Nutrena, etc), feed all your birds that, all of their lives, regardless of gender, age, or whether or not they are currently laying or in molt. Have a seperate dish of oyster shell available, free choice, and a similar dish of grit. Keep plenty of fresh clean water on hand for them. Problem solved.
They are on purena all flock raiser now and have been! Honestly it kinda just popped into my head and i thought about maybe it would save money but probably not in the long run

It was a screen shot of the location of the "Search" function at the upper right corner of the web page.

and if, by chance, it was Garden Betty's feed you saw, this is why I say Don't Do It.
I tried and i couldn’t really find anything so i figured i would get a quicker answer if i just posted a thread!

It wasn’t garden betty it was someone else!

If you wrote the recipe down, I'd be happy to run it thru my calculator for you. and if you've priced out the ingredients, It will do that at the same time.

Solely as illustration for the next person to search and find this thread.
Unfortunately i don’t have a recipe except for what i listed up above! She said he does equal parts and buys all the things in big bag. Like a big bag of oats and so on :(

Back
Top Bottom