Homemade Feed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tulilynx, Jun 5, 2011.

1. tulilynx

tulilynx Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    Where I live its very difficult to get proper medicated chick feed.So i've been experimenting and I found the perfect feed which my chicks cant stop devouring.Not 1 grain gets wasted.I dont know if all the ingredients are fine and safe for baby chicks but I've seen no problem till now(a month).Here's the recipe

1 cup rice
    1 cup whole wheat
    2 cups corn pips
    1 cup red lentils

Grind all these in a mixi till you get the grains the perfect size for chicks(not too big and not a fine powder).

Then add 1/2 cup millet grains and shake to mix.

My 1 month aracuana and 1/2 month cuckoo marans and 2 months new hampshire love this feed.

Any comments will be appreciated.

2. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Sorry I can't tell you much about homemade feed. How do you grind it? Seems like it would take some time!

3. tulilynx

tulilynx Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    It takes time,but it eventually gets reduced to that perfect size.

4. duke692008

duke692008 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2012
    frankfort,Indiana
    i found this recipe in a book by gail damerow she's very inteligent and puts things in laymen's term without all the mumbo jumbo others do that you have to be a rocket scientist to figure out otherwise you get frusterated and like me give up also most are commercial recipes and quite large and you have to do alot of math to figure out the proper ratio.i hope this helps you it is helping me the problem i'm having is actually finding all the ingredients......

ingredient starter/grower/layer
    coarsely ground grain(corn,milo,wheat,rice,etc,etc. 46 lb/50 lb/53.5 lb
    wheat bran,rice bran,mill feed,etc. 10 lb/18 lb/17 lb
    soybean meal,peanut meal,cottonseed meal sunflower meal,sesame meal,etc. 29.5 lb/16.5lb/15 lb
    meat meal,fish meal,soybean meal 5 lb/5 lb/3 lb
    alfalfa meal(not needed for free range birds) 4 lb/4 lb/4 lb
    bone meal,deflourinated dicalcium phosphate 2 lb/2 lb/2 lb
    vitamin supplement (supplying 200,000 I.U.vitamin A,80,000 I.C.U vitamin D3,100mg riboflavin) +/+/+
    yeast,milk powder(not needed if vitamin supplement is balanced) 2 lb/2 lb/3 lb
    ground limestone,marble,oyster shell,aragonite 1 lb/2 lb/3 lb
    trace mineral salt or iodized salt(supplemented with 0.5 ounce manganese sulfate and 0.5 ounce zinc oxide) 0.5 lb/0.5 lb/0.5 lb
    TOTAL 100 lb/100 lb/100 lb

i hope this helps you i know here in indiana alot of this i can't seem to find but there is always ordering online available.....lots of luck to you and your chickens
    btw the book that i've found alot of great info in is called "storey's guide to raising chicken's by gail damerow just thought you might like to know!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by