homemade feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Auroradream26, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    Homemade Chicken Feed (organic, non-GMO, non-soy)
    Note: The prices below reflect the price we pay through Azure Standard.
    You will need:
    – 12 cups organic, feeder oats (.34 cents/lb)
    – 8 cups organic, soft white wheat (.38 cents/lb)
    – 8 cups organic, hard red wheat (.26 cents/lb)
    – 6 cups organic corn (.42 cents/lb)
    – 4 cups organic lentils (.54 cents/lb)
    – 4 cups organic split peas (.47 cents/lb)
    – 2 cups organic flax seed (1.68/lb)
    – 1 cup sesame seeds (2.27/lb)
    – 3/4 cup kelp granules (3.25/lb)
    – 2 tablespoons olive oil, coconut oil, or molasses

found this recipe online for homemade feed and I wanted to get your opinions on it. Also, if there's any way to modify it to get the corn out of it. I want to feed organic and this seems like the most cost effective way to do it. Opinions?

2. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
  3. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    I'd want to see an analysis. If the recipe was provided in #s instead of cups, you could do a rough calculation but you would really need to send off a sample and have it tested as all grain crops are going to have slight variations in nutrition. Straight grain diets are going to be lacking in protein, Ca and various vitamins and minerals. I also have a problem with the cost calculations. Most of the organic grains listed retail closer to $1/# on Azure's website. I do see the caveate of "the price we pay" but that's not an accurate reflection of feed cost to everyone reading her blog. Even buying 100#s at a time (of each individual component) isn't going to bring the cost down to that level.

You can easily eliminate the corn. You can just leave it out or replace it with other grains.

1 person likes this.
  4. kfarrell

kfarrell Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2014
    Mims, Florida
    I have also seen this recipe online and compared it to a few others. I will probably adjust it to fit my budget. But I am adding home farmed bugs (bsl, mealworms and crickets). Also adding various flowers too. I am hoping that with the added variety that they will get what they need.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by