Homemade Grow Gel Recipe

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by aukuma, Feb 12, 2015.

1. aukuma

aukuma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    W PA
    I have an idea for a homemade grow gel recipe. I'm here to get some more ideas and opinions.

The idea I have is the following:

1 tbsp sweet basil seeds
    1 1/4 cup warm water
    0.5 mL Poly Vi Sol WITHOUT IRON

Soak the seeds in the water for about 5 min. Add the Poly Vi Sol and stir.

I am sure there is more we could put in there. I was trying to think of things you could keep in your pantry or fridge.

I would like to add probiotics to the recipe but couldn't really find information on how much or what substance to use.

I thought maybe just add about 3 tbsp of medicated chick starter. I have a bag, but at the moment don't have time to run out and read what it contains.

I read the following article on feeding basil seeds to chicks and thought this might work. http://www.pjbs.org/ijps/fin1665.pdf

Please post any ideas or concerns you may have! I'd love to be able to come up with something collaboratively.

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I have been looking all over, because I need something to feed and water my chicks, for 6 hour travel time, without using water containers that will spill

I am thinking that I will maybe take some chick feed, crush it up, mix it with some water and gelatin, and then use the resultant jello.

hummmmm

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Why not??? Sounds good to me. I think I've run across a recipe somewhere. Don't remember where, but your idea sounds good. Some folks put a piece of watermelon in the box, but, I like the home made gro-gel better... unless it melts!

4. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

no way I could find watermelon at the store right now... not where I live.

also, no risk of melting! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by