Homemade hatcher - humidity issue

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kbbeale, Jan 11, 2009.

1. kbbeale

kbbeale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    Adkins, Tx
    I have eggs that I need to move to this hatcher today - and we're having problems regulating this humidity. It's holding humidity in there like crazy!! Up over 80%. I'm afraid that once they start to hatch that the humidity will get super crazy and harm the other chicks............

We have vented and even taken the lid off and let the humidity down, but I lose temp that way. There is VERY LITTLE to no water in there right now. We're in S Texas, where it is super dry right now too - I just think this particular styrofoam is just holding it in big time.

Ideas? What do you think we should get the humidity to before putting the eggs in to hatch? Like I said, I'm afraid of a humidity spike after they start pipping.

Kristen

2. miron28

miron28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    lenoir north carolina
    what kind of temp gauge you have in there? it could be bad i had the same problem.

3. windtryst

windtryst Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Do you have air exchange holes? Are they open?

4. kbbeale

Oct 26, 2007
    Adkins, Tx
    Yes, we have air holes and they are open. They arent BIG like the holes on top of the Hovabators. Should we make them bigger?

The temp gauge is a hot water heater thermostat. Like the one that MissPrissy says to use. It's not bad, the temp is working fine - its the humidity we're having issues with.

5. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    The temp is holding but the humidity is high. How are you checking the humidity? The meter may be off, try to calibrate the meter. Unless you have a pint of water in the bator, there is no way the humidity should be that high.

6. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    It sound like the hygrometer is not accurate. I am having problems getting the humidity up here in Alabama and it is raining outside. I have just added 1 cup of water to the HovaBator and it is at 41 % I can live with that but I am surprised it is so low. I calibrated all the hygrometers just before setting eggs. Check out this site and see if you can find out how yours is doing. They can be off by quite a bit.
    http://exoticpets.about.com/od/herpresources/ss/hygrometer_4.htm

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  7. kbbeale

Oct 26, 2007
    Adkins, Tx
    Thanks for the info, but that link wont help with the kind of thermo/hygrom that we have (according to hubby).

We're gonna have to hoof it and hope all is well and accurate for now, this is all we have and I got to get these eggs in the hatcher tonight.

Kristen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by