Homemade hay! Do you?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by secuono, May 21, 2011.

1. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    So I like to make homemade grass hay, it's real easy. Does anyone else make any?
    This is from the little front yard, it covers the front porch all over, 4-6in deep. Mostly regular grass, some random weeds mixed in, too.
    All you have to do is mow down some tall grass, leave it in the yard [if you will have nothing but sun the next few days. If you are expecting rain, rake it all up and put it in a dry place where there's plenty of air exchange.]
    Anyway, flip it in the yard a day or two later. If it's under shelter, flip it a few times a day. Spread out any and all clumps, just really fluff it up. You can move it onto the driveway instead of the lawn, sometimes it dries a tad faster on there.
    Once you can smell hay, your nearly done. I'd wait another day and make sure it's thoroughly dry all over. Box it up inb a dry place and use it for guinea pigs, rabbits, chickens, etc. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. pnuts

pnuts Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    thats a great idea:)

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Yes, I use to make it years ago when I had my push mower. I would let the grass get kinda tall and cut and rake and let dry. Now that I have a different type mower, I don't get the same consistency with the grass clippings. I wish I had my old push mower. [​IMG]

4. wheresmypeeps

wheresmypeeps Out Of The Brooder

Cool idea! What about just tossing some fresh clippings around in the 'walking-around'/run area? Also, would the chickens eat some while it's fresh? Just wondering... I am VERY new at this...

5. mjuenem

mjuenem Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Putnam Co.
    When weeding the gardens I save it all and just toss it into the run. They seem to love this, especially the dandilions!

6. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Quote:Yea, that's fine. I use the dry stuff for nests and bedding. Rabbits and guinea pigs eat the dry stuff, though some rabbits are too picky and just sleep or poo in it...

My chickens only seem to like Clovers and Dandelion leaves, anything else they scoff at. They are such spoiled little stinkers...

7. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Mowed backyard grass from yesterday is dried nearly all the way. Started raking it up into piles. Three times the amount of hay than the front yard. So much of it, not sure where I'll store it, lol.

8. wheresmypeeps

wheresmypeeps Out Of The Brooder

OK... I'll keep it in mind and pass on the info to my hubby! Thanks! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  9. mrszlopez

mrszlopez Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    thats an awesome idea ! ive got nearly an acre of grass needing to be cut - i will be trying this. thanks !

10. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

When I had ducks some years ago I use to rake the clippings into their run, they had a hay day with it. I never used it to bed them down in though, I figured they'd try to eat it and get thirsty over night since they weren't allowed water in the coop. I might try it with the chickens though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by