Homemade Hot water Incubator

nenenick

Chirping
14 Years
May 6, 2007
Hello, I thought I show one of my Homemade incubators. And try to post some pictures!
It is heated by a kerosene lamp and hold around 50 eggs!

inc3.jpg

inc4.jpg

000_2412.jpg

Quote:
There's actually a concept like it in plans you can dig up on the internet somewhere. The fumes don't really enter the bator. Water holds and even temp better air. Looks like the water is heated externally.

I've gotten many questions on this, so try to answer in one posting. I am a woodworker and have studied many incubators from the 1900 - 1940's. This incubator was a proto-type of a Buc keye Bantam model. The cabinate was constructed of hardwood, this in a full 1 1/2" thick. Heating is acomplished from a copper heating system that is fill with water. Outside the incubator is a copper boiler that heats the water. By convection, the heated water is circulated within the cabinet. There is a rubber bar (I used Nylon) inside that expands as the temp goes up (Thermal Expansion)that moves the mechanism outside. The arm hold a damper which covers the flue of the boiler for maximum heating of the water. As the rubber bar expands, it moves the arm that is counter-weighted to lift the damper off the flue, which then allows the lamp heat to escape out, thereby cooling the water. As the water cools, the rubber bar contracts, which again lowers the damper to heat water again. At end of bar, there is a adjustment knob to control temp. This incubtor works very well, and temperature is surprisingly constant and uniform within the cabinet. I believe it is better that electric, because it takes awhile for water to cool and therby reducing the ups and downs of a heated ekectric element!. I hope that I was able to answer your questions. No, I do not have this machine anymore, I sold it last month.

The lamp is outside the Incubator. Not inside of it. Is the metal object seen on right of the picture.

Back
Top Bottom