homemade incubator and ventilation.....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by farmerjon1988, Jan 2, 2011.

1. farmerjon1988

farmerjon1988 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2010
    birmingham uk
    Hi all [​IMG]

I have just ordered some eggs which should be here next week so ive started making my incubator [​IMG] [​IMG]

I have used a cooler and cut a section out of the top and replaced it with some glass from an old picture frame, and I will be using a 40 watt bulb. I am off out shortly to buy a thermometer and hygrometer. I am not going to be using a fan and was wondering if i need some kind of ventilation? As long as the temperature and humidity is ok is that all i need? without ventilation will the chicks be ok when hatching?

any advice would be great [​IMG]

Thankyou

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  2. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I hope you didn't pay a lot for those eggs before you know for sure that your incubator will do the job.

3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    You don't need air holes. Any whole cut out for wiring will make in non air tight for when they hatch and you'll have the lid open more than you think to turn eggs twice a day or lower the humidity if it get's sky high.

The Temp is most important. You can pick up a water heater thermostat at Lowes or Home Depot for about $9. Wire an old extension cord to it then from it to the light source to regulate the heat. Adjust it via what your thermometers read at egg level. My homemade incubator runs with 2 lights in series in case one burns out during the night. If using 2 you'll find 25 watts work just fine. You've got an entire week to work out any kinks so don't sweat the small stuff. By the time your eggs are in you'll be confident in temp control and basic humidity adjustments.

No worries, homade incubators get fantastic hatch rates. Folks get horrible hatch rates with store bought due to not paying attention how it's running. Your knowledge to turn eggs, provide constant 100 F and keeping an eye on humidity is what hatches eggs.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by