Homemade Incubator Blow Dryer VS Bulb Vs....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cliffoco, Oct 26, 2015.

1. cliffoco

cliffoco Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2015
    I am incubating about 7 eggs ATM, I am on about day 5 and all 7 have started to develop. However, my set up requires too much fine tweaking etc, (I think it is because of my thermostat)
    Anyhow now I picked up at STC-1000 and will be making an incubator I can trust. I rather use a blow dryer vs bulb because the blow dryer is super simple where as a bulb requires some drilling into a cooler that I am using. Can anyone think of some negatives of using a blow dryer over a bulb? Any help is appreciated!

2. Rod-T

Rod-T Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    So your thermostat is running a hair dryer?

3. cliffoco

cliffoco Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2015
    I ended up using a small space heater inside a cooler, I found the blow dryer was giving to many hot spots even with a fan going. Using a STC-1000 with the sensor suspended mid air has been working PERFECTLY for me!.
    So far so good, although I have two separate batches in their, fresh eggs with thick shells from my own 3 hens which all 7 are doing great and a dozen I picked up from a local egg seller, all the eggs are fertile with embryo's at day 5 or so now, but im noticing a couple shells have cracked and possible yolk breakage. I will see how those do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by