Homemade Incubator Design

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mossypath, Jan 29, 2012.

1. mossypath

mossypath Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2012
    ohio
    I was wondering if anyone has tried to make a Incubator from something ceramic. I have a flue from a fireplace that I was thinking about using. It would take a while to heat up but once it got going it could potently hold an even heat and would not cool down like a cooler when opened, it would recover faster.
    It is a high fire clay stoneware body so it should clean up nicely and not wick water. It would be fire proof. I have the tools to work with stone so cutting and drilling holes should not be a problem.
    The outside could be in covered in insulation.
    Do you see any down sides I haven’t considered yet?

2. matlock585

matlock585 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    White Bluff, TN
    Is it like the orange colored square sections? Do you have a picture of it? It sounds like it would work fine, but isn't that like an 8" square? No doubt the heat would hold great in there, but it seems like a lot of work to set it all up.
    I love my styro cooler incubator. I could push a coat hanger through it easily then put a zip tie to hold things up and mount them to the walls. It works great. When I open the top to turn the eggs my temp is recovered within an hour or so.

3. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    It think that the ancient methods of hatching eggs were something like this, but instead of using fire, they used hot manure to heat it from the outside.

4. matlock585

Apr 22, 2011
    White Bluff, TN
    Hey Quintin... I'm glad you posted here. Can you link me to the modifications you make to the water heater thermostats? I searched on it but I found a lot of variations.
    Mine is still doing good as it is, but I'm just curious to see what is done. I'm thinking about making a separate hatcher. And also considering it for my brooder so I can decrease the heat as they grow.
    Sam

5. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Okay. I will.

6. mossypath

Jan 14, 2012
    ohio
  7. mossypath

Jan 14, 2012
    ohio
    This is what I tried with my first and it helped a lot.[​IMG]
    This time I am trying the Repti Temp 500R thermostat.

8. matlock585

Apr 22, 2011
    White Bluff, TN
    I am using a water heater thermostat, but I didn't modify it. I had a terribly hard time getting everything right, but since then it runs just fine. My temp only varies when I open it, then it recovers soon enough. My live feed of my bator is in my signature, but right now it's primarily just so I can see it while I'm gone at work and keep my mind at ease about it.

9. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Your bator cam require signing up? The link takes me to a sign up page.

10. matlock585

Apr 22, 2011
    White Bluff, TN
    No, you should just be able to view it. Try this one. www.mycampage.com/batorcam It's all new to me. I just came in and caught the temp at 102. Hopefully that was a fluke, I opened my vent back up. Guess if the temp rides ok i'll break down and put some water in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by