Homemade incubator experiment!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lovelyduckling, Feb 12, 2017.

1. lovelyduckling

lovelyduckling Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2016
    Ok, so I've been waiting for one of my three hens to go brood so i could slip some eggs under them. Not one for quite some time. I was going buy an incubator to hatch some eggs, but they are more expensive than I thought. I'm not paying $50-$100 for an incubator. So I decided to try and make one. I know I'm doing this wrong, but hey, it's an experiment. I have a cardboard box that I thought was big enough for them and I cut a hole in the middle for the light. It's a really hot heat lamp but it's all I got. It's about 90w and the other 2 I found were about 40 and 60w and still didn't warm up enough. This one warms up really quickly but i think it's too hot. I put a towel on the bottom of the box and put an electric blanket under it just in case. I poked holes throughout the box to keep ventilation going. I let it warm up while I ran outside to the nesting box to gather all the eggs. I have eleven in total. My oldest hen lays big eggs and the other two are her daughters so they lay small eggs. There's 7 small eggs and 4 big eggs so I figured it's a pretty good batch. I put them in with a soaked sponge to keep humidity. I hope this works but it probably won't. I checked it earlier and I think 2 of the eggs got too hot. Mabye I'm wrong because I don't have a thermometer yet. I was supposed to get one today but forgot. I'll try tomorrow. I think I'm going to keep the eggs in for a couple of days and candle them. If nothing forms then in the trash they go! At least I learn from my mistakes. We can always try again later with better equipment though. While I'm thinking about it does anyone want one or two barred rock/black sex link mix rooster? They are really pretty and nice and look just like a barred rock. We're selling them for $30 each or $50 together. We live in Alabama and may be willing to drive somewhere close to here depending on where it is. If there is any advice you can give me that may make this hatch go well, pls comment. Thanks in advance!

2. BBCHICKS123

BBCHICKS123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2016
    Wander land
    I did a similar experiment and it worked for me 12-14 hatched l do lots of experiments l once hatch chicks under a office lamp

3. lovelyduckling

lovelyduckling Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2016
    Thanks! That makes me more confident in my hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by