homemade incubator. fan/air?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ashleighh, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Ashleighh

Ashleighh New Egg

Jan 18, 2014
    As I was looking at incubators and read that a lot of them (I forgot the exact term) had a fan or had circulating air in them, and not still standing air...?
    Does that make sense, do you know what I am talking about?
    Does having still standing air or circulating air fan really make a difference?

(creating plans to attempt making an incubator, then testing it for a few days to see how it works before getting eggs!!)

Thanks!

2. LizardKing

LizardKing Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2012
    It makes a big difference.
    In a still air incubator you will have different temps in parts of the incubator, a moving air incubator should
    eliminate temperature differentials (in a big one, lessen it).
    In this forum there are a lot of threads on home made incubators that I am sure will be a lot of help to you, search and read them.
    I am in the process of designing and building a cabinet incubator that will hold three egg turners and have microprocessor controlled temp and humidity with one new twist: thermal mass.
    No new incubator built relies on thermal mass to help moderate temp changes, mine will have 60 pounds
    of cement board insulated at R6.4 from the outside in it.
    I believe it will make a huge difference with temperature differentials when one opens it up often (which I know I will though I shouldn't)....

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by