1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Homemade Incubator Problem

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Farmer Gab, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Farmer Gab

Farmer Gab Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2007
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Hi! Yesterday, I made the incubator posted by GopherBoy. The only real difference is that I used a wireless temp/humidity gauge. So, the problem I seem to be having is that the water heater thermostat does not shut off. It just keeps heating and heating up my little incubator. Is it busted? Or, does the wireless not read properly? The thermostat does NOT have precise markings that I can select. The lowest printed number is 120 so I just have it turned ALL the way down. How do I even know if it goes low enough? I am beginning to question my attempt at saving money and wishing I had just bought one...... ARGH! [​IMG]

Any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated.....

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

You may have the wrong WH thermostat. Some only go down to 120 others go down to 90

3. Farmer Gab

Mar 26, 2007
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Okay. I went and bought one that clearly is marked 90 degrees as its lowest setting. I am going to replace that now. However, any thoughts about the wireless digital temp/humidity unit? Will it read the conditions the same or better than a probe in a water wiggler?

THANKS!

4. backpack09

backpack09 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2009
    Whitman, MA
    It depends how it reads humidity, my wired reads humidity at the main box not the sensor.

5. Farmer Gab

Mar 26, 2007
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    This gauge has a unit that sits anywhere in the room and a small sensor unit that sits inside the cooler. The room unit reads temp&humidity in the room and the small sensor reads temp&humidity in the cooler. So......what do you think?

6. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

I used a wireless one for a while but I went threw to many batteries. It also was slow about showing temp changes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by