Homemade Incubator Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ORP IN GA, Mar 20, 2012.

1. ORP IN GA

ORP IN GA New Egg

Mar 13, 2012
    Colquitt, Georgia
    I was thinking about making a homemade incubator and I want to make a Cabinet Style Large Capacity incubator. I have two Little Giant Styrofoam incubators here at the house. Would it be possible/more reliable to use the heating element/thermostat off of these two incubators in my incubator design?

I saw many people use Hot water heater thermostats, I just had the idea that these heating elements may work much better? Suggestions?

2. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma

Um, I have never used this type of thermostat for a homemade incubator. I know that they suck in the little giant incubator, but I was just taking apart the thermostat a couple months ago, and the sensor for the thermostat is up against the styro foam. I don't know why they chose such a stupid placement.

If you take a few pictures of the thermostat, and the building process, I would really like to help you.

3. ORP IN GA

ORP IN GA New Egg

Mar 13, 2012
    Colquitt, Georgia
    They do suck in a LG Styrofoam incubator but I think this may be partially to it being in a Styrofoam incubator. In a better insulated box made of plywood I would think that it would possibly work out better! I am looking at building a bator that is about 5 ft tall and can hold a lot of eggs! I am still up in the air on how I am going to build the egg turner!

4. ORP IN GA

ORP IN GA New Egg

Mar 13, 2012
    Colquitt, Georgia
    I want to build one similar to a GQF Sportsman (I used to have one and loved it) but I want it to be taller and have larger capacity!

5. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    That's cool, are you going to use the incubator heating elements, or are you going to just wire the thermostat to 2 light bulbs. I would like to help either way.

6. ORP IN GA

ORP IN GA New Egg

Mar 13, 2012
    Colquitt, Georgia
    I was thinking about using the incubator heating elements! Do you think these would work well? I think two of them working together should be sufficient!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by