Homemade incubator question

drowe005

Songster
7 Years
Mar 20, 2012
Corapeake NC
Im in the process of building a homemade incubator for the hopefully soon to come Chukar eggs. I was wondering for the shelves in it, would you recommend setting eggs directly on 1/2"X1/2" hardware cloth shelves, setting the eggs in standard size chicken egg cartons on the 1/2"X1/2" hardware cloth shelves, or use a screen like that would be on a screen porch wrapped tight around a wood frame for shelves? Im assuming the 1/2"X1/2" is going to be large for the chicks feet if the make it out the shell or carton before I see them, but unsure as this is my first season. Also, is there any benefit to storing eggs (fertility wise) before putting them in the incubators, or just put them straight in there as you get them? My only concern is what will happen when I get to the lock-down part of the incubation. Thanks in advance for any input as it will all be appreciated.

I liked having them in cartons through day 18. I've done both for lock down carton and bare shelf and I like bare shelf best. I laid down a piece of fabric over my shelf. Good luck with your eggs.

I use an egg turner day 1-18 and move them to a hatcher using cut down egg cartons. I have almost perfect hatches everytime.

Is this in cartons outside of the incubator that your talking of (in a cool dry place) until day 18? Or in the incubator in an egg carton until day 18? If you were talking about waiting 18 days to put them in the incubator, what benefit is there for waiting? I believe I've seen that Chukar eggs can wait up to 28 days at most until they have to be incubated.

The fresher the egg, the higher the hatching %.

Are these shipped eggs? They apparently benefit from being set upright and no turning for a while. You can so some research on this.

I incubate my own eggs laying on the side as this is how I see the eggs under my hen. Most are on the side. Though for some, the end was up, eeither end not just the air cell end. I don't know how she keeps the pointy side down. Her nest was piled high with about 15 eggs. ( All her friends contributed).

YOu can also use that shelve liner that is made of soft rubber with plenty of holes for air space.

No these are not ordered eggs, I've got a breeding pair of Chukars and this is my first season and am just trying to figure everything out before they do start laying. Im sure its coming soon so Im trying to gather as much info as possible. So it sounds like the best bet would be to mark the eggs with the date, and place them in the incubator as theyre collected? Thanks for the input

If your talking laying eggs directly in hatcher on 1/2 hardware cloth .Its to big use 1/4.Or porch screen.Then lay a piece of shelf liner (spongy kind with little holes) over the wire.My 2C...cva34

we keep them in cartons inside the incubator for 18 days. dont for get to turn them often ! . Then we take them out and layed them upright on a cloth inside the incubor during lockdown.

Is this in cartons outside of the incubator that your talking of (in a cool dry place) until day 18? Or in the incubator in an egg carton until day 18? If you were talking about waiting 18 days to put them in the incubator, what benefit is there for waiting? I believe I've seen that Chukar eggs can wait up to 28 days at most until they have to be incubated.

Back
Top Bottom