Homemade Incubator / questions :)

Sandolfthered

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2015
I would like to thank the byc group for helping me and my eggs out! I built this incubator this morning and I must say I feel like a proud momma.

I used a medium size tote, two pieces of styrofoam insulation, tin foil, duct tape, chicken wire, a pie plate to hold the terry cloth, some spacers, the light bulb part of an old paper lantern, 60watt bulb, a piece of plexiglass, a thermometer.
I cut out the holes for the light, the viewing screen (in the lid) and the air holes. Then duct taped the styrofoam to the insides of the tote and the light in place.

I lined the inside of the tote with tin foil, including the lid (around the viewing screen). Set the pie plate with the terry cloth at the bottom, put the spacers in ( I used concrete core pieces but anything will do), set the chicken wire on top. I duct taped the outside edge of the chicken wire first ( it seems to be the thing to do and it makes it easier to handle).
Then I alllowed for some warming time, I got the temperature to 100degreesF. Perfect!
Next came the eggs!

I do have some questions, as this is my first time. Is it important that the eggs don't touch? Is it necessary to turn the eggs three times a day ( except for between 11-14 days)?
Also have I done anything wrong? I don't want to be a bad momma.

Thanks for reading/ supporting/ being awesome chicken people!

If you can hold your temp steady at 101 - 102* when measured at the top of the eggs (with an accurate thermometer that's been calibrated to 100*), and hold your humidity around 30% for days 1 - 18, you'll be well on your way. You'll need to turn the eggs 3 x / day for the first 18 days. Then, you raise the humidity to 65% and hold the temp steady for the last 3 days. (No turning during the last 3 days.) My big concern is that without a thermostat, you may have temp spikes. Also, if you are successful, I'd recommend that you put those eggs in some sort of COVERED basket for the hatch so the hatchlings don't try to eat that tin-foil! Keep us posted. Also, have you read all of the wonderful articles in "Hatching 101" in the learning center?

I have read the hatching 101!! And reread it and read some parts of it aloud to my other half. :) What an amazing resource/ community this is. I didn't even think about the chicks eating the tin foil, good call! If they are successful I will take your recommendation of a covered basket or remove the tin foil all together.
I'm off to buy a thermostat stat! :)

Thank you lazy gardener for your advice and help! It is truly amazing to have a 'virtual' support system! :) Four of the the seven hatched over the weekend, the other three are due in a few days.
I removed the tinfoil a few days ago but the temperature dropped in my incubator, so I covered the tinfoil with old tee shirts.

Their mother was killed by a predator in our yard two weeks ago, she was our first and favourite hen- it was a sad day.
I had another broody hen so I put the eggs under her but after that hen had one chick she took to killing the other chicks ( her own)
as soon as they were born. So I made the incubator and became their momma! :)

Back
Top Bottom