Homemade incubator temp 99-102 IS THAT OK??????????????????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Wyogirl, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    I built a styrofoam incubator fan, light and water heater thermostat (90-150 range) my temps range from low 99 to high 102, i can't seem to adjust it lower than 102 without making the low temp 97 [​IMG] any suggestions or will the fluctuation be ok??
    thanks
    Ayda
    [​IMG]

2. bhazell123

bhazell123 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Welsh La
    jsut wandering how much you spent to make your incubator

3. Wyogirl

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    Not much LOL, the thermostat(90-150 degree variance) off of ebay was the most expensive was 15.98, you could probably buy at home depot for less but it is a 2 hour drive from my house, the light fixrure was 2.98 , the computer fan 5.00(bought the whole computer at yard sale), the cooler free, wire I had at home and you can probably even use ??? on the bottom, plexiglass 9.88, the duct tape 6.98(my 5 yr old had to have green) but i did have some at home . So ~40.00. I really like the foam cooler as I could do it without taking out power tools, LOL. Please ask me any questions, I would be more than willing to help ANY QUESTIONS!!!
    Ayda

4. wowmanacat

wowmanacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    I have a homemade one and my temp till I got new thermostat was form 95 to 110 and I had very good hatch rates. I just put a new one in and am still working out the temps with all my eggs in it. I keep a good eye on mine since it is in the living room.

5. jfulcher

jfulcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    I have a coleman cooler incubator. With water thermostat.. Mine goes 98 F-104 F... I did the wiggler test... Internal temp of eggs estimated at 100 F... Give or take a degree. This is my first hatch, and it isn't over yet!! So, I hope yours goes well!!! When is your hatch date?!

6. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    Move your thermostat to about 1/2 inch from the light bulb & it will not vary like that, metel side faceing the bulb.

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:This is true. A water heater thermostat will have an approximate 6 degree variance.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  8. matlock585

matlock585 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    White Bluff, TN
    I made a home made bator, and I used the accurite therm/ hygro like you have. I had the same dilemma, but I justified by averaging the temps out - that averages to 100.5, which is right where you need to be and will be closer to the internal temp of the egg. I tested the hygrometer with the salt test, it reads 1% low, so I add 1% to whatever the humidity reads. On my test hatch, which ended last Saturday, I hatched 4 out of 5. I was very pleased with my results, and I've got 14 banty cochin eggs in there now with those same readings. I think your temp is perfect right where you have it, but I warn you not to get the humidity too high, that will drown your chicks when they try to hatch. I think that's what happened to my fifth egg. I realized on day 14 that my humidity was too high and took all the water out, but it was too late for one egg. The others hatched great. I'm running it dry this time, and I don't intend to add water till lockdown.
    Best of luck to you, you'll be turnin' 'em out like crazy now! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  9. Wyogirl

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    Quote:Should I wait to do that?? this is day 7 3/4 lol I did candle and have about 9ish out of 14 with something in them. I'm due on July 2-3. I'm also trying to do the dry hatch but have had humidity all the way down to 21 so am trying to keep it between 20-30?? I don't know , it's my very first hatch and have been busy reading about all the posts on this site, had to take a break as I was info overloaded lol. I'm keeping notes so on my next hatch and yes there will be a next one:lol:I will be somewhat ready
    Ayda

10. Wyogirl

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    Quote:Where I live WY we have low humidity, very dry. I had forgotten about testing my hydrometer and it read 5% low so I forgot that i had to add that to my reading!!!!I'm grateful:bow that you posted that so am running between 21 and 45 without any added water so I'm just gonna leave the humidity alone!!
    Ayda

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by