Homemade incubator... think anyone can help me solve the mystery?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by TinyTotsSeramas, Sep 21, 2011.

1. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Okay so I tried re-doing my homemade incubator with a thicker styrofoam cooler and a computer fan this time...
    I have the bulb on the one end incased in steal cloth and the Thermostat on one side of it and the fan on the other side of it so the fan is blowing the heat from the bulb to the thermosts... It wither kicks off when I want it to but doesnt kick on when I want it to OR it kicks on when I want it to but doesnt kick off when I want it to.... Is there something I am doing wrong here or is it possibly my Thermostat is off an getting a new one might help?

I'll try to get pics tonight if really needed..

2. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    You need to have the bulb and thermostat as close together as possible. Also you need to move the thermostat out away from the wall, so it will catch the right temps

3. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:Okay so right now my Thermostat is about 2-3 fingers away from the bulb and is attatched to hard wire cloth so its away from the wall (I made that mistake last time an placed it on the wall)..

4. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    AS in real estate: location location location.
    The location relationship of the light/fan/thermostat is what makes this work. Experiment until you find the proper placements. A fraction of an inch will make differences.

5. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Quote:Okay so right now my Thermostat is about 2-3 fingers away from the bulb and is attatched to hard wire cloth so its away from the wall (I made that mistake last time an placed it on the wall)..

Is it maybe too far out?
    Kind of hard to get an imaginge in my head. Have you maybe posted pics somewhere of what it looked like before the changes?
    You may need it closer to the bulb. All of ours we had to put very close.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  6. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    [​IMG]

7. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    This pic was before changes. I havent changed anything yet an probably wont until tomorrow.

8. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Quote:Ok I would take the thermostate off of the wire. Set it on the wall with about 1/4 exposedfrom the back and right up next to the bulb. Where it sits the bulb isn't working with it.

9. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Also is that blue bulb hot enough?

10. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:Its a reptile heat bulb so its meant to throw the same ammount of heat as a 100w but at only a 40w

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by