Homemade Incubator Thread: Hatches and Bator Pics

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by duckcommander22, Sep 7, 2014.

1. duckcommander22

duckcommander22 New Egg

Sep 4, 2014
    I LOVE homemade incubators!!!! This will be the thread to post pictures of incubators and to post pictures of successful hatches!!
    I will try to get some pictures of mine!

2. Flytieguy

Flytieguy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2014
    [​IMG]

Here is a picture of mine from a few years ago. I have modified it a little since then but it works great. My 2 youngest watching the first eggs hatch.

3. HatchCraft

HatchCraft Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2011
    North Florida
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Had an idea for a design and built one as a prototype. Its collecting dust in my shop. Never hatched in it,but I'm sure it would do great.

4. Flytieguy

Jul 2, 2014
    That looks like a sweet incubator. You should try and use it![​IMG]

5. duckcommander22

duckcommander22 New Egg

Sep 4, 2014
    Both of those were pretty awesome!!! I think you should try and hatch in it too!!

6. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I built my Incubator and hatcher. They work Real Good. After unfertile eggs are removed, the hatcher hatches close 100%. In a little over 2 months I have hatched 500+ chicks.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Flytieguy

Jul 2, 2014
    Looks awesome! Wish I had the know how to build one like that.

8. duckcommander22

duckcommander22 New Egg

Sep 4, 2014
    What heating element did you use guys use??

9. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I used a 225 watt coil in the hatcher and 2--125 watt cartridge rod's in the incubator. The reason for using 2 different ones----Just experimenting. Either works fine.

10. kada6305

kada6305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Kersey, Pennsylvania
    Here are a few pictures of mine. It is our first homemade. We can fit 12 regular sized eggs, a few more with bantams.

[​IMG]
    Front window
    [​IMG]
    toilet paper roll cut to lay eggs on to stop them from rollign around if incubator is bumped (have 3 dogs)
    [​IMG]
    Light on lid instead of the sides, I get more even temperatures through the incubator.
    [​IMG]
    Top lid, viewing window, hole for thermostat sensor, dimmer switch, and extension cord I used to plug in the light socket.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Our littler thermostat we use. When set at 104 we get perfect temps. on at 100 off at 101
    [​IMG]
    wire mesh floor with paper towels over it for something soft for the chicks feet when hatching. I have a lid of egg carton below to fill with water for humidity.

Our lone survivor from last hatch, before we had a 60watt light and no thermostat. This time we use a 25 watt/

Lucky:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]Lucky is the result of a Speckled Sussex rooster over a Red Sex Link hen.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by