homemade incubator vs. buying one

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mustangsaguaro, Jan 23, 2008.

1. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    Ok, I have 3 incubators and I was getting ready to get eggs next week to start incubating. So, I start all 3 of them up to make sure they work. One appeared to work, but then it all of a sudden stopped, and the other 2 don't get any heat at all. I am deciding on what to do, either build a homemade one, buy a fairly inexpensive one, or buy the replacement parts for the one I already have. The replacements parts I need is basically a new heating element, and the wafer. The one that was working for a while but quit is one of those styrofoam ones, not sure of the brand as it was already on the place we live on when we got here. Any suggestions/recommendations as to what to do. My finances are somewhat limited so what would the best option be. I think my husband might have some of the supplies already.

I asked my husband if he would just build me one and he was a little hesitant. He doesn't want me getting any eggs to hatch out. He conveinently forgot that he gave me permission to get eggs to hatch. I am really bummed and I really don't want to have to build it by myself as I am not that mechanically talented. He's the construction person and could easily build me one.

THanks
    Kim

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    Go with which ever is cheaper!

3. siz8003

siz8003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    [​IMG] do both I would get the parts for one of the bators then try to make one

4. Leslie In North Pole

Leslie In North Pole Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2007
    North Pole, AK
    Order the parts in, will make things easier for you unless of course you find an affordable one...

Save building one for when you are going stir crazy and can obsess about it, lol.

5. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    Well, I did some checking and I found at Jeffers Livestock the Hovabator, and shipping is free, can't beat that. So I think I am just going to break down and buy one for now and maybe make one later on. Now the decision is is a still air or forced air bator better? What are the advantages/disadvantages of either of these? Hubby is probably going to kill me for buying one, but oh well.

6. Leslie In North Pole

Leslie In North Pole Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2007
    North Pole, AK
    Forced air is better. You have a more consistant temp through out the incubator. In a still air, you will have pockets of hot and cold. I bought my first one through Jeffers, they ship quick, I was very happy with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by