1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Homemade Incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MultipleAnimals, May 24, 2016.

1. MultipleAnimals

MultipleAnimals Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2016
    Texas
    How do you make a homemade incubator? I tried to a month or so ago, it did not work, I tried to make a Styrofoam Incubator. It cooked my eggs. How do you make one for under 30$ that actually works.

2. Kittcat

Kittcat Just Hatched

May 23, 2016
    Utah
    I'd really recommend buying one that can adjust how much it's heating based on its internal thermometer and can display humidity. But I know how it is on a budget! I haven't built one before, but if you make one, I think you should put a reliable thermometer (more than one would probably be better) in there for a few days before you put in any eggs so that you can make sure it's staying at a good temperature. A humidity sensor is also probably a good idea. I think you can get them from walmart for like $10, as well as a fan to move air and prevent hot/cold spots. All in all that's really all an incubator is - a Styrofoam box with a heater! I'd probably get a styrofoam box (or make one) and replace the lid-or part of it with glass or plastic so that you can place a thermometer inside and still read it. How were you heating yours? Is there a way to turn the heat down? Maybe move the heat source a little further away?

3. MultipleAnimals

May 21, 2016
    Texas

Mine was a Styrofoam Incubator, with a lamp for heat, a bowl of water for humidity, and 1 thermometer with a hydrometer.

4. Kittcat

Kittcat Just Hatched

May 23, 2016
    Utah
    Hmm, that sounds like it should've worked! Did it stay at a nice 99.5 degrees in there? (Or the temp needed for your specific eggs). If so are you sure that your thermometer is accurate? Might be worth double checking it

5. MultipleAnimals

May 21, 2016
    Texas

I put several holes in the incubator to help keep the temp from reaching up to far. That did not work. With the lid on and sealed the temp soars to over a 130F. If I use the incubator I have to leave the lid open. That is why I need to make a new one.

6. Kittcat

Kittcat Just Hatched

May 23, 2016
    Utah
    Can you move the heat source further away? Or maybe a lower wattage light so it produces less heat? Maybe you can put it on a timer (you can buy them at walmart) so that it doesn't turn on as much. Do you have any other heat source options? I know you can buy heating elements, which might be worth a shot. In my opinion it's best to have as few holes as possible to keep a good humidity, but I live in a very dry climate. It might be less important for you.

7. jimandkira2002

jimandkira2002 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2015
    I made a DIY incubator and it was very difficult to get a good steady heat source so i bit the bullet and ordered one of these. It has the heat source, fan and thermostat all in one! It works really well but you can't use it a big area. It need to be a "table top" incubator that's small or it won't be able to heat it. I an in the middle of a set now and all 17 eggs have live babes inside! We are on day 13 right now and all seems to be doing well!

http://incubatorwarehouse.com/48-watt-incukit-dc.html

Heres my bator!

[​IMG]

8. MultipleAnimals

May 21, 2016
    Texas

What's the lowest light bulb wattage?

9. Kittcat

Kittcat Just Hatched

May 23, 2016
    Utah
    I think there are some that are as low as 1.5 watts but that'll probably be much too low. I'd look around at a store and see what they have. It might take some trial and error unfortunately. I'd probably look for one that's about half of what you currently have as a place to start.

10. Kittcat

Kittcat Just Hatched

May 23, 2016
    Utah
    Oh that's so neat! Makes me want to buy it! ...but I already have an incubator...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by