Homemade incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dandydoodle, Feb 15, 2011.

1. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    I am going to be making a homemade incubator in the next to days. Any suggestions things your have found out work or don't work. Any advice before I start this would be appreciated. I am going to go on the homemade incubator section and check those out. Other then that I don't know what else to do.

Thanks,
    MIchelle
    [​IMG]

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

They all work. When you pick the parts you want to use we can tell you how best to make them work.

3. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    Go ahead & do your self a favor & order your self a good old wafer thermostat, little bit more expensive than a water heater thermostat but well worth it, just my opinion.

4. Cranman

Cranman Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2010
    Sanford NC
    My advice is to have two light bulbs, one on all the time and the other controlled by the thermostat. Also mount the bulb that's controled by the t-stat so it can be moved closer or farther away from the t-stat, this will affect your cycle time and it's easier if you can rotate it a little back and forth to find the sweet spot. Lastly be sure anything you use is durable since most anything that might fail mid hatch may ruin the hatch. I had a fan quit on me once and also a light bulb burn out. Luckily with the light I had the other one running and temps didn't get too low.

5. dwdoc

dwdoc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Seffner, Florida
  6. abritton77

abritton77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2011
    Broken Bow
    I highly recommend not getting a water heater t-stat. I put a mini digital controller off of eBay in mine and feel like it works really well. How big of one are you planning?

7. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
  8. dominiquePL

dominiquePL Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    Poland
    I don't know what/how big incubator you will be using but I recommend being carreful with the heat source - if you use light bulbs choose 25w max. Too much means hotter which will cause significant temp swings.
    This time I'm using reptile heat cable (25W / 4.5 m long) and I love it - it heats up quickly, doesn't get too hot and cools down quickly. That is very important because when the thermostat turns it off you want it to stop producing heat immediately - otherwise the temp will continue going up and the hotter the heat source is the higher it will go.

One more thing - turn your incubator on at least 24 hours before putting eggs in. If you notice problems with temp, sort it out first.

Good luck!!

9. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
  10. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    I built my own & just completed my first hatch just under 2 weeks ago - I'm collecting eggs for my second hatch now & plan to set this weekend.

My advice -

1) use a thermostat - any one you want - you will figure it out. I use a house thermo & it works just fine.
    2) you need water trays to control the humidity. Use paint trays - the kind with the sloped bottom - Humidity is effected more by surface area than total amount of water. I had plastic bowls with sponges in there for my first run - they were perfect for incubating - but I was unable to raise the humidity for lock down. I beleive this cost me most of my chicks. I now have the sloped paint trays in there. When I add more water I get more surface area exposed & the humidity goes up. It works great.

3) Insulate & seal exposed wood - it will suck the water out of the air if you don't.
    4) Have a method of adding water w/o opening the lid. I bought 2 copper 1/2 in pipes bent in a 90* angle. I slipped them through a hole in the bator & they extend just over the water trays. I can pour water into the trays from the outside - this can be done with garden hose or even a straw if you are patinet enough.
    5) build some sort of turner - mine is not automatic - I have to turn it by hand - but it turns them all at once. Its a simple teeter-toter design - I turn once in the morning- once when I get home & once before bed. Works great!

Other than that - have a good time with it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by