Homemade Incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BenAnnaMama, Mar 28, 2011.

1. BenAnnaMama

BenAnnaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    I was thinking of making an incubator for some fertile eggs I have coming to me today. Is it as simple as a light bulb, water tray for humidity, thermometer, and turning three times a day? I don't want to set myself up for failure because I have a 4 year old that is looking forward to hatching some eggs.

Do I need a fan?

Thanks for the advice!
    [​IMG]

2. mitch324

mitch324 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    Macedon, NY
    you need a thermastat also.

3. BenAnnaMama

BenAnnaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    THanks...Do you think i could do it in a cardboard box? Do I need a fan for air circulation?

4. FlChickie

FlChickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Citrus County, Florida
  5. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Look at my page and here: http://cmfarm.us/WHTincubator.html

The
    second video on the page illustrates the way to install the thermostat so you don't get the 5-8 degree temp swings that "everyone" says is unavoidable (they are wrong) with hot water heater thermostats. And of course the "how to" section of the main website where there's tons of incubators.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  6. dsowens15

dsowens15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Winchester, TN
    Quote:I hooked mine up the same way and had at least a 15 degree swing. It might have been a bad thermostat, but I just went with an Ranco ETC-111000 brand new for $60. It works great with a one degree differential range.

7. tigercreek

tigercreek Chillin' With My Peeps

If you have eggs coming today, and don't kow how to build one, it's too late. Gonna' take some time to build, then test and stabalize. .........stan

8. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:Although I wish you luck a little prior planning would have been nice, say Oh maybe more than the day of.

AL

9. Truevalentine

Truevalentine Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2010
    HOPE cardboard box works! I saw a pic with advise in the section with the pics of the homemade ones and just set eggs in a carboard box that I futzed with till I got the temp right and stable... ended up putting my light IN the box rather than over like the picture showed. We'll know in three weeks or so if it was successful!

10. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by