Homemade incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hlf1996, Apr 16, 2011.

1. hlf1996

hlf1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    California
    I am definetly a chicken addict now, oops. And
    I would love to hatch some chicks myself and was
    wondering if anyone has made a homeade
    incubator and if so how did you do it? Thanks, Hannah

2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I made one, you can see it on my BYC page, you may need a few skills to build it but it's not bad and it aint a cooler. I would be happy to offer any guidance.

AL

3. just2rosey

just2rosey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    New Kent
    A home made incubator can be as simple or as elaborate as you wish. I build my own out of an old re-purposed Omaha steak cooler, and an old lamp inside for heat. It cost me nothing. I experimented with different size light bulbs and found that a 40watt florescent (which put out less heat than traditional light bulbs) put out enough heat, without getting to hot. This worked great until spring started warming the house up. As soon the house temps became unstable so did my temps, so I put in a water heater thermostat, which cost me $10. I put in a double pane glass window using the glass out of old picture frames. I used pint canning jars for heat sinks and to support the bakers rack which I used for an egg rack. Simple and all things I had around the house, except the thermostat. I have hatched out a few batches of chicks with it. Good Luck.

4. BunnyMomma

BunnyMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2010
    Olin, North Carolina
    My husband and I built 2 different incubators. Both of them worked but I had very low hatch rates. So just for fun, I bought a harvest gold, square, GE electric skillet, with a lid at the Goodwill for 6.00. [​IMG]
    1. It had a thermostat control and a vent on top. I put 1/4 inch of playground sand in the bottom. This was my heat sink.
    2. I added an 8 x 8 glass pyrex brownie pan on top of the sand. I put a small piece of bubble wrap in the pyrex dish and added a washcloth on to that. (For cushioning and absorbency).
    3. I also added a digital meat thermometer, that I already had. I stuck the probe end through one of the vent holes.
    4. I then cut a sea sponge in half and wet it thoroughly and squeezed out all of the excess water. ( you don't want water to condense on the lid and drip onto the eggs.
    5. I adjusted my thermostat to keep a temperature of 99-101.F.
    6. I set 21 eggs and 15 hatched this week! 10 Birchen Cochins and 5 Mille Fleurs!

Tips:
    I used my own eggs, from my hens. It is possible that the ones I had trouble with could have been due to mishandling in the mail.
    I think that a fan in a small incubator drys out the eggs too much. (I don't think a hen has a fan on her butt) [​IMG]
    I turned my eggs 3-5 times each day and kept the sponges moist, but not wet.
    I candled the eggs on day 10 and got rid of the one unfertile egg that I had. I had 2 quitters, and 2 that did not hatch.
    The last three days I upped the moisture slightly. I am thrilled with my 6.00 incubator.

I plan to set a new hatch this week! Get those GE Hens plugged in! Anyone with me?

5. momsflock

momsflock Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2011
    I have my very first bach of eggs in right now! I read through the sticky in the incubating hatching eggs section of BYC and made the "Chamber of Chickens" myself. I copied mostly off the gopherbator and won some RLW on te BYC auction that were shipped to me. The kids cannot cannot believe we built it and think it is the collest thing! It's like waiting for Christmas around here!! I say go for it. The worst that can happen would be that you have a very low hatch the first time:)
    Good Luck!!!

6. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    Quote:i'd love to see pics of it!

7. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Home made incubator= best thing ever.
    At least to me. Works far better than LG[knock on wood it keeps doing so].
    It's so much easier and customizable, it's great!

Click on this page's top "Coop Designs", then scroll down a wee bit, in the center is "Egg Incubators". There ya go!

8. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    i really like the simplicity of the ge pan-obator! need to check the thrift stores.... like i need more chicks!

9. BunnyMomma

Sep 17, 2010
    Olin, North Carolina
    Hi, I am planning to set another batch of eggs this week and I will post pics of the incubator setup. I will post pics of the hatch as well. Be sure to follow along with your pan-o-bator too!
    Love, Bunny

10. BunnyMomma

Sep 17, 2010
    Olin, North Carolina
    As requested, here are the images of the Pan-O-Bator!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by