homemade incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by zebserema, Jul 10, 2011.

1. zebserema

zebserema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    I have been looking for a thread on homemade incubators vs. store bought ones and I cant seem to find one so I am leaving it up to you guys to tell me dont worry NO PREASURE haha so lets see some: pics, results ,and some cute little chicken pics GO!!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  2. zebserema

Jun 17, 2011
    8 views and no replies come on you can do better than that! [​IMG]

3. pheasantfrenzie

pheasantfrenzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    Montrose,Co
    Hello,
    There is a page on this site where you can go to see ideas that people have posted. There are alot of helpful ideas there. Goodluck!

4. Roccomanchickens

Roccomanchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Carroll, IA
    Hi; If you go to the coop section there is a section on incubators. It's awesome, I am actually in the process of starting on one made out of an ice chest. Hope this helps.

5. mikki717

mikki717 My Drug of Choice- Chickens

Dec 7, 2009
    Hesperia, CA
    [​IMG]

This is the incubator I made from a small wine fridge. It has three baskets, holding 16 eggs each, so 48 chicken eggs using the dividers I made. I just built a turner so I don't have to hand turn the eggs. I will use it on the next batch.

So far I have had set 2 hatches. The first time I got 50%. I am in the middle of the second hatch so I do not have a rate yet.

6. zebserema

Jun 17, 2011
    thanks thats a pretty bator you got anymore pics or advice?

7. chika10

chika10 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2012
    here are my chicks i bought they are really old now ,but soon i am getting in quail eggs to hatch i found out everything i needed to know in a week. i dont have a single question. i wathed videos and searched up questions and even asked an experienced person on youtube about humidity.[​IMG] i feel super prepared[​IMG]

8. hemet dennis

hemet dennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Well good luck and [​IMG] from Hemet Calif.

[​IMG]

9. SeaSkyShore

SeaSkyShore Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2012
    My husband and I ventured into DIY Incubator territory when we received 2 Khaki Campbell eggs that were incubated most of the way. We were told that we could finish their incubation with a heat lamp but my husband and I were really unsatisfied with the temperature fluctuations. We ended up throwing together an incubator out of some cheap cull lumber from home depot; using the bulb, water heater thermostat, and cpu fan combo. One egg didn't make it but the other survived, despite coming from a cracked egg (we had to band-aid it together).

We dubbed the duckling Baby (creative, I know) and the incubator Egg Box 360. Here are some pics -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I used a non-working console TV skeleton for my foundation. 1/4" tempered glass for the front, 1/4" insulation sheets wrapped in tablecloth for the inside walls, half of an interior door packed with insulation for the back door which is hinged on one side and closes with pressure latches on the other. I added a piece of tubing leading form outside the bator down into the water reservoir so I can add water without opening the bator door. There is heat tape lining the bottom and 2 100 watt light bulbs as supplemental heat. The light bulbs are wired to one another and then to a dimmer switch which I have had good luck with. I will, however, be adding a thermostat for next hatching season. There is a small personal fan next to the light bulbs. I have 2 large bricks in the bottom along with 2 large bottles of water as heat sinks.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by