1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

homemade incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by orpingtonbabies, Jul 19, 2011.

1. orpingtonbabies

orpingtonbabies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    Hi. I'm thinking about hatching some ducks as an experiment (1/2 under a broody and 1/2 in an incubator)
    I know there's a whole tutorial section for this.. but that basically tells me how to turn them and such and that's very helpful but as far as making the incubator it just shows me a bunch that other people made and I want to make my own and know what it needs to do... as in pinpoints like temp and humidity (I don't know what else [​IMG] )... What does my incubator need to do and what can I use to make it do that?
    Am I making any sense? [​IMG]
    No, probably not [​IMG] .. but oh well... thanks so much! [​IMG]

2. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    It's all there in the section that shows users incubators. You need to find users that showed step by step.
    You need something that tells you the temp in the egg, humidity in the bator, a heat source, a controler for the heat, a fan w/power on 24/7. If you want, a turner, either manual or powered. A window to see what's going on, small or 2 panes. It needs to be well insulated as well. Trays for the eggs, too. That's basically it. 101-102F air, .99-100F egg.

3. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    Well I agree with the above post also it is going to depend on the amount of money your looking to spend. There is someone that used a cardboard box. Best thing to do is figure out a budget and see what you have laying around then look at what every one did and go from there

4. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    [​IMG]
    Here's mine, a homemade one. Total cost ~45.00 with enough material to make my 2nd, so have 2 right now. Used a thick styrofaom cooler from my mom who gets food shipped to her, bought thermostat on ebay, fan at walmart, wire had at home, made turner out of materials at home, used old ceramic light fixture (home) so scrounge around and see what you can find then buy what you need. I would be more than happy to supply my material list.
    Ayda

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by