1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Homemade Incubator!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by duckcommander22, Sep 6, 2014.

1. duckcommander22

duckcommander22 New Egg

Sep 4, 2014
    Just finished my new incubator and for the first 3 hours it has held temp at 99.9 degrees! I will be getting 8 khaki campbell eggs next week! Is there any thing specific for duck eggs that I should do? More humid? What temp should it be exactly?
    Thank You!!!

2. darkbluespace

darkbluespace Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Portland Oregon
    I made my incubator too! I have two now actually. I am about to incubate duck eggs for the 3rd time. The first time I thought they needed higher humidity and my ducks all grew too big to hatch. [​IMG] The second time I tried dry incubating where I added NO water until day 18 and 6/6 hatched with a little help as they were still a bit too big. That hatch was at about 35% humidity. This time I will be trying for about 25 to 30% humidity during incubation. This time I hope to let my duck finish sitting on and hatching them though. She has been trying all summer for babies!

Do you have a fan or is it still air?

I hope your hatch goes well!

3. duckcommander22

duckcommander22 New Egg

Sep 4, 2014
    Thanks for the advice about humidity! When I don't add water the humidity is at about 40%. I do have a fan in there that I took out of a old computer which is working perfect for now. What kind of heating element do you use? I use a light bulb but I noticed that my temp gets one or two degrees too high sometimes. And the only thing I can think of to fix that is to hook the light bulb up to a dimmer.
    Again thanks for the advice!

4. darkbluespace

Jun 13, 2014
    Portland Oregon
    I have top vents I play with to get humidity lower... I have a light bulb in mine and I used a dimmer for my first two hatches. I had to watch it like a hawk! That was in the Spring before it got hot... temperature is much harder to control that way if room temp if fluctuating much. I plan to keep hatching so I got a couple of these thermostats and they have been amazing. I really don't even have to think about temp these days.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10A-110V-Di...758?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19ebf67fe6

5. duckcommander22

duckcommander22 New Egg

Sep 4, 2014
    I have seen a ton of people use those! I guess they must work then!! I will find one and order it.
    Thanks again for all the help!

6. duckcommander22

duckcommander22 New Egg

Sep 4, 2014
    Just ordered one but rush shipped it!

7. darkbluespace

Jun 13, 2014
    Portland Oregon
    They do work... I just used the thermometer I had in the bator to adjust the temp, rather than the digital readout on the unit. It will make your incubation a hundred times easier!

It is nice if someone else can benefit from all my blunderings [​IMG]

8. duckcommander22

duckcommander22 New Egg

Sep 4, 2014
    How do I hook up the temp controller?

9. darkbluespace

Jun 13, 2014
    Portland Oregon
    I Googled my model and found a photo of how to wire it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by