Homemade incubators

sure .. i hatched some of my own eggs in a plastic tote from walmart, about 90% hatchrate to .. you have to get temperature steady and in the right spot .. ambient temps need to be steady to so location is important, no drafts etc .. the basic setup was a light fixture with a 60w bulb and a shield aimed down on the wire and bottom, folded up piece of chicken wire in the bottom to give a couple of inches to set everything on, a small box at the other end with grass in it to hold the eggs, and a decent digital temp/humidity gauge laying in the box .. between adding water to the bottom, adjusting the lid and draping a towel over it just experiment until you reach ideal conditions .. once you got it figured out and can hold it steady drop your eggs in .. turn them 3 times a day, the eggs being in a seperate box and laying on a bed of dry grass makes it easy to turn them, just pull the box out and zing zang your done lol ...

There is an absolutely incredible amount of information on incubating and especially DIY incubators in the following thread.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...thread-w-sally-sunshine-shipped-eggs.1137467/

The key is temperature control with a decent thermostat and sizing the heat source to the container.
I prefer a metallic heat element over a light bulb. A light bulb can fail with no warning especially with constant cycling. Metallic elements don't fail like that.

I’m currently experimenting with a cooler and a 15 watt bulb. I only need this for a few days to hold eggs during a staggered hatch so not planning to go full term with it. The cooler was $10 at walmart and the bulb, cord and light fixture were $7 at Home Depot. We are getting it dialed in now so we’re ready when we need it.
you can drill holes in the top to let heat out and tape over the holes if it gets too cool.

I don't think 15 watts will be sufficient. The little Styrofoam incubators like Little Giants use a 40 watt heat element. A cooler is likely to be larger in cubic inches.
Incubators have holes top and bottom but it isn't to release heat, they are for bringing in oxygen. The first week, embryos don't need much oxygen but as they grow, their oxygen requirement grows exponentially.

I don't think 15 watts will be sufficient. The little Styrofoam incubators like Little Giants use a 40 watt heat element. A cooler is likely to be larger in cubic inches.
Incubators have holes top and bottom but it isn't to release heat, they are for bringing in oxygen. The first week, embryos don't need much oxygen but as they grow, their oxygen requirement grows exponentially.
It was 165 degrees in the cooler with a 25 watt. Still 110 with the lid propped open and that was at the opposite end from the light.

Back
Top Bottom