1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

homemade incubators

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by the 412 chicks, Oct 6, 2009.

1. the 412 chicks

the 412 chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    fremont
    I wanted to make a big incubator but i dont have the money. what are some way and how do u keep the temp steady.

2. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

SCROUNGE parts/lumber/styrofoam.

READ the posting on home-made incubators.

THINK what would be MOST PRACTICAL for your situation.

DO it. [​IMG]

-Junkmanme- [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  3. VA from WV

VA from WV Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2009
    Eastern Pandhandle WV
    Lots of trial and error using scrounged and cheap parts. Mine still doesn't work, but that's just because we haven't had time to completely test and troubleshoot.

4. lilwhispers

lilwhispers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Idaho
    I found a place on Ebay that turned out to be here in Idaho that carries a product called flex watt tape. It is a heating tape it comes in 3" and 11" I think thatis what I am going to use when I build mine this winter. Gonna try to use the thermostat from the little giant incubator my daughter landed on and crushed. I am hoping to build one that will handle 100 - 150 eggs. I need to figure out how big to make it. Anyone have a clue or advice?

5. cbiblis

cbiblis Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2009
    Murphy,NC
    My advise is to use a space heater. Go and buy one use the fan, and heating element. goto http://www.vellemanusa.com/us/enu/product/view/?id=351201
    for
    your thermo and modify it to work with bators (check out teco's page for info) Buy a egg turner or two from a feed store, Check out my page for design help, it's a dickey bator with solid lumber. if you don't want one that big search others pages theres lots of good cabnet designs and there you go. you'll have about 250 dollars in the project this way. If i can help then pm me.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  6. a p p l e s

a p p l e s On holiday

Oct 3, 2009
    vaughan
    you can buy one for a cheap price off ebay [​IMG]

7. a p p l e s

a p p l e s On holiday

Oct 3, 2009
    vaughan
    but its very hard to find a good one tho...

8. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    I've built several cheap! And they work! 3 out of old fishing coolers and 2 out of broken down fridges. Parts are cheap! A lot of the things you need are usually around the house. [​IMG]

9. lilwhispers

lilwhispers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Idaho
    I evenyually want to make one out of an old fridge in fact my dad has a couple I am trying to talk him into letting me use. what is the best way you have found to convert.

10. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Quote:If you look on the incubator page, theres a lot of fridge bators. Maybe you could get some ideas there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by