Homemade Incubators

mochicken

Songster
8 Years
Apr 27, 2011
NW Missouri
On our November 29th hatch-along we had some pretty neat posts with homemade incubators for quai eggs / any eggs really so I thought I'd start another post where you could post pics of your homemade incubators to give us not so crafty folks a place to learn from. I am going to be building one soon hopefully, I actually got a head start because my uncle gas given me 2 little giant turner setups, one for quail and one for chickens, now I just need to figure out how to build everything else lol

Pics or ideas are welcome folks

https://www.backyardchickens.com/chicken-coop-incubator.html
thumbsup.gif

I started a post here the other day about the hatcher I'm working on and it got moved. Anyway, here is a picture of it. The left side has record shelves which I plan to make trays for and use as a hatcher. The right side is big enough to hold a couple LG egg turners. I am focusing on left side hatcher first hoping to put my quail eggs over into it next week. I have a hole in back with a computer fan pulling in fresh air. I am using a small ceramic heater with a water heater thermostat attached to the front of it with a bracket. So far it is doing okay, cutting on and off within 1.3 degrees. Going to try to get it within .5 degrees by moving the thermostat closer to the heater. It is about 1/5 inch away from it now.

Next month I hope to get a digital thermostat from Incubator Warehouse, but if I get this set up working just right I may not worry with it.

86697_homemade_hatcher.jpg

Very cool, I am thinking of doing something for a hatcher because I am constantly starting eggs at different times so that leaves me in limbo trying to turn eggs without disturbing the other eggs or letting humidity out.

Ideally I would like to have a turner in my incubator that allowed me to take half of the egg trays off but this one doesnt for some reason so I have to totally remove the turner and place all the eggs on the floor of the incubator then reach in really quick a couple times a day to roll the eggs that are not ready to hatch, maybe I will just make a hatcher out of a styrofoam cooler or something

I've got a half finnished cooler bator sitting storage. Right now it's just a styrofoam shipping cooler with a window in the top and a hwc floor 2" from the bottom (there was a perfect little lip there). I've got a few other things that go with it eventually but I still need to get a water heater thermostat and a lamp kit.ETA: love your hatcher Orange ribbon

Last edited:
My cooler is just like sixshooters first pic
wink.png
. I think I'm going to find a scrap peice of 1" copper pipe to punch my whole for all the "guts", wires, and lamp kit. I ruined a knife and used up a brand new cigerette lighter cutting the window,
roll.png
lol. I think copper pipe and a propane torch should work nicely.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom