Homemade Incubators

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Starlight61295, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Starlight61295

Starlight61295 New Egg

Nov 19, 2011
    Hi Everyone,
    I am planning on building an incubator. I plan to use a styrofoam cooler. I want to put two lights in the top. I have researched many incubators. I see that some people have used PC fans to regulate temperature. Do I need that? How do I wire it if I do? Can anyone give me tips on hatching chicks? Also, I saw that some people have made homemade egg turners. Can someone tell me how to make them?
    ~Dea

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    You can wire a PC fan by using an old cell phone charger or other small charger like electric razor etc. Those chargers are reducers, PC fans run on little current. Cut the end of plug in then twist ends and tape to the two wires on fan. That or just buy a small plug in fan at your local box store. Good air flow in your incubator will stabilize the temp, reduce cold and hot spots.

I have two hot water thermostats if your interested, I'd mail you both for $12 PM if you want them. Many use these as they're cheaper and readily available at Home Despot type store for about 8 bucks a piece. Or you can order online a wafer thermostat made by GQF : http://www.gqfmfg.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=147

3. mumahen

mumahen New Egg

Apr 13, 2012
    Hello, I made my incubator out of a polystyrene cooler too, i have 12 runner duck eggs in at the mo, the have been in for a week, i candleded today and i think 10 out of 12 are doing good, one deffo is no good so have taken it out.
    I have a clip on light with a 15 watt bulb in. I made a hole thru the side of the cooler and duct taped up around it so it was draught proof, a thermometer and hygrometer stuck about the level of the eggs, 2 cardboard eggbox bases for the eggs to sit in, on a bed of damp face flannels to regulate the humidity, i put a 6" square of clear plastic as a window in the top, and i control the temp by either unplugging some ventilation holes i put around the top of the box if it gets too warm, or plugging up if its cooler. I am turning the eggs 3 times a day (giving them a pep talk too, but not sure they are listening)!
    I would love to have put a little fan in too, but i am a bit hesitant as i dont know how to and it is quite a damp atmostphere in there.... But so far so good without it, so i am not going to bother with it, i am going to carry on as i am for now. I think the most important factor is where you put your incubator, i am lucky enough to have a spare space in the eaves without any heating or windows, so the tempreture stays pretty regular. I tried almost all the rooms to see which room was the most stable tempreture wise, and ran the incubator for a few days to be sure i could hold the right conditions for the little egglings.
    I dont know if any of what i have written helps, but good luck![​IMG]

4. Starlight61295

Starlight61295 New Egg

Nov 19, 2011
    I cannot get the temperature to 99-100.
    If I use a 40 watt bulb, it goes to 106-108
    If I use a 25 watt bulb, it goes to 95
    The temperature and humidity gauge is at the top.
    My incubator is made of a foam cooler and has 4 big ventilation holes. There are other small ventilation around the side and top. It has a small fan below the light bulb.

5. Amy1

Amy1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2012
    i made a home made bator and i use a rubber made tote. its a small one and i have to use a 75w light bulb and bought a little desk fan to put in there i also have to have a box fan on the outside blowing at the incubator to maintain 99-100 degrees i i put a 60w in i sit at 89 so...i guess try putting a 27 in. box fan on the outside of ur bator maybe it will help some..

6. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Here's my page! It SHOULD help you out for the most part.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-chick-factory-incubator

Below are a few videos I recommend to people that are building an incubator.
    First time builders often use water heater thermostats.

I like water heater thermostats!
    They are finicky though. Here are a few tricks to using a water heater thermostat.

7. freebyrd

freebyrd Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2012

your close with the 25watt bulb. you only need small vent holes. try covering them up leaving a small (dime size) hole on top and low one one side. that should reduce your heat loss. a 25watt bulb is well capable of 135 degrees or more. but be sure to use a thermostat or wire a light dimmer switch(if the temp is high, turn the dimmer counter-clockwise. to low temp, turn clockwise.) you can try gluing ceramic floor tile to the walls and floor to help hold more heat when you open the lid. you can also use a couple red bricks on the bottom inside.
    good luck...

8. Peter1975

Peter1975 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2012
    Tape up your ventilation holes one by one until you hit the magic number. Large vents will make it difficult to maintain humidity also.

9. jww6419

jww6419 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2011
    Southeast Arkansas
    Add a heat sink or two to help steady temperature. I used a plastic mayo jar filled with water. You can use baby food jars, mason jars, river rocks, water wigglers, etc.
    Check out photos of mine on my profile. Its simple and small. I combine ideas from homemade bators from this site. It only holds 10 eggs but it can be made to hold more. I hatched 5 out of 6 in my first attempt.

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  10. hunter109

hunter109 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    moscow ohio
    how would i go about doing a incubator i would love to have one but ant got the money to buy a store bought one

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by