Homemade incubators

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenliz123, Feb 2, 2014.

1. chickenliz123

chickenliz123 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2014
    I am looking to build an incubator and hatch my own chickens. I have never done anything like this before and am looking for some guidance. How long after the chicks hatch will they lay eggs?

2. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    Mine were slightly under 6 months, some sooner some later, depends on the birds breeding and conditions, health, nutrition etc. but around that time is pretty normal.

3. nayeli

nayeli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2014
    If you go to my page I have a similar thread I started and got great advice as to how to construct a cheap homemade incubator =)

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

My recommendation is to spend a hour watching videos. There's a ton on youtube, but….

The best were made over a few years by Rush Lane Poultry. These videos span a few years and show some improvements as time goes on. You can view all 6 or 8 of these videos and you'll be confident. They are on Rush Lane poultry's own site, and on YouTube as well.

There is no substitute for watching a hour or two or "How To". Step by step. Lots of options along the way, including quite a few that these videos may spur in our own mind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by