1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Homemade Jelly and Jams

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by SundownWaterfowl, Aug 25, 2008.

1. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I made Elderberry jelly today. i was thinking about making 2 or 3 different types of jelly and jam and giving them to family and friends for Christmas.

What types of jelly or jam should I make?

I was thinking Cranberry jelly or jam, blackberry jelly or jam, and apple jelly.

2. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Mom always made blackberry jelly because with no seeds everyone could eat it. Some elderly people or those with certain diet issues can't eat things with seeds. It made her really popular around the holidays!! Especially since these same folks couldn't eat blackberry cobbler and such, so this was their only way to enjoy blackberries.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I make crab apple jelly some times to give as gifts. It is a lot of work but that lovely pink jelly is such a nice gift.

Pears should be coming ripe soon. Pear butter - like apple butter - is awesome too.

We did mulberry this spring too.

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I do crab apple jelly too...Beautiful color in the jelly jars for Christmas presents....my crab apples are dark dark pinks and small....

5. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    I have made plum and peach, white and purple grape jelly, orange marmalade and blackberry jam WITH the seed left in ( my grandmama made it like that when I was a kid and I like it like that). My family is getting a jelly basket for Christmas.

6. erthymom2

erthymom2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Would anyone have a receipe for red pepper jelly that they would share here?

7. CathyB

CathyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    PA
    I have tons of pears! How do you make pear butter??

8. MrsCountryChick

MrsCountryChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    PA
  9. thewobsers

thewobsers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    near toledo ohio
    anyone have a really good grape jelly recipe?? If I find some grapes i want to make some jelly for the kids.

10. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

How about making muscadine, plum and blackberry because those are my favorites and then you send me some of each so I can be an official taste tester [​IMG] For real though, I NEED to learn how to make jelly, I can't stand the store bought stuff.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by