Homemade Mayo?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chicabee19, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    I read a study a few years ago that said the 'myth' about Mayo having to be carefully refrigerated was less true than people have believed.

It said the vinegar in the mayo protected it from botulism, etc.

The study said vinegar in store-bought mayo makes it so safe that you could keep it on the counter-top! (not that I'd ever risk it, even so).

That said, has anyone here ever made mayo from their fresh eggs?

I would really like to be able to do that so I can use olive oil, but I think I'd only risk it if I knew others had done it, and if I knew how much vinegar to add.

thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    That is very interesting! I know that MissPrissy makes mayo. from her eggs and has the recipe to do it. I just can't remember the exact recipe off the top of my head so I would hate to say. I'm sure she'll see your thread and chime in though. [​IMG]

3. warren

warren Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2007
    UK
  4. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

I think there is a thread on this at SufficientSelf.com.

5. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Quote:My guess would be the chemical preservatives help too [​IMG]

Quote:Yes, use the recipe Miss Prissy provided. Remember the flavor may change depending on the oil you use - olive, extra virgin olive, safflower, canola....

I saw there is now a commercial mayo made with olive oil, but it doesn't taste like my homemade mayo made with olive oil. I'm guessing the difference is partially due to chemical preservatives.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  6. moodusnewchick

moodusnewchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    we have a mayo at the institution i worked for that doesn't need to be refrigerated. it's a major brand name too. when i saw it sitting out, i thought someone missed putting it away...then I looked at the label and was grossed out...it just seems wrong to me to have mayo that doesn't need refrigeration...i figured it's the chemicals. I'd be interested to learn if mayo really doesn't need refrigeration.

I found some mayo recipes on line i was going to try when i start getting eggs. now i'm going to have to check out missprissy's too!

7. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    i make my own mayo all the time and love it its so easy and yes miss prissy's recipe is good hahahaha try it ull love it i think

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by