1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Homemade Pickle Recipes...please

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by amyquilt, Jun 25, 2008.

1. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    Ok.

Our farmers market opens for the first time this summer on Saturday.

I plan to be there at 7am when it opens.

One big thing I plan to stock up on is cucumbers.

I want to attempt to make some homemade dill pickles. I don't have a canning pressure cooker, though. I do have a large stock pot that I can "cook" the jars in.

Please share your homemade pickle recipes!! I'm sure I'm not the only one that would like them [​IMG]

TIA

2. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    No cook Recipe!

Refrigerator Pickles
    1 Gallon Container packed w/Cucumbers (sliced-not peeled) & Onions (sliced)

4 Cups Sugar
    4 Cups Vinegar
    1/4 Cup Salt
    1 1/3 tsp of Tumeric
    1 1/3 tsp of Celery Seed
    1 1/3 tsp of Mustard Seed

Dissolve ingrediants in Vinegar (if you heat this, it must cool before pouring over cucumbers/onions) When it is all dissolved poor over Cucumbers & Onions and set in the frig. Ready in a few days. Last practically forever

3. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Quick Dill Pickles
    Yield: about 8 pints

8 lbs. of 3- to 5-inch pickling cucumbers
    2 gallons water
    1-1/4 cups canning or pickling salt
    1-1/2 qarts vinegar (5 percent acidity)
    1/4 cup sugar
    2 quarts water
    about 2 tablespoons whole mixed pickling spice
    (1 tsp. per pint jar)
    about 3 tablespoons whole mustard seed
    (1 tsp. per pint jar)
    14 heads of fresh dill
    (or 1-1/2 tsp of dill seed per pint jar)

1. Wash cucumbers. Cut 1/16-inch slice off blossom end and discard, but leave 1/4 inch of stem attached. Dissolve 3/4 cup salt in 2 gallons of water. Pour over cucumbers and let stand 12 hours. Drain.

2. Combine vinegar, 1/2 cup salt, sugar, and 2 quarts water. Add mixed pickling spices tied in a clean, white cloth. Heat to boiling.

3. Fill jars with cucumbers. Add 1 tsp. mustard seed and 1-1/2 heads fresh dill per pint. Cover with boiling pickling solution, leaving a 1/2-inch headspace. Adjust lids and process in boiling water bath, pints 15 minutes, quarts 20 minutes.

4. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    These look great....hopefully more will post, too! I just know MissPrissy has an awesome pickle recipe or two [​IMG]

5. me&thegals

me&thegals Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I can personally attest to these being awesome! I give them by the gallon to my brother for b-day presents [​IMG]

Aunt Carol’s Refrigerator Dills
    1 ½ quarts water
    2 cups white vinegar
    ½ cup pickling salt
    1 tbsp. mustard seed
    ¼ tsp. alum (if desired for added crunchiness)

Bring to boil on the stove. While heating, slice a big onion on bottom of 5-qt. pail. Add garlic, 4 heads of dill, and cucumbers. Pour brine over the top. Add more dill, garlic, and onions on top. Add minced hot peppers if desired. Let stand on counter up to 4 days, then move to fridge.

Aunt Chris’ Freezer Pickles—easy, fast (except 1 hour of draining time) and unexpectedly crunchy when thawed and served.

8 cups cucumbers sliced, thinly sliced
    1 onion, sliced
    2 tablespoons salt
    1 ½ cup sugar
    ½ cup vinegar

Mix cukes, onion and salt; let stand 1 hour. Drain over sink and then squeeze out excess water. Heat 1 ½ cups sugar and ½ cup vinegar until dissolved. Pour over cukes. Freeze in freezer containers. Thaw and serve.

6. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    I'm thinking I need to clarify that what ever pickles I make, the recipe needs to be one that I can "put up" the pickles to last us at least a year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by