Homemade Range Feeders

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by anthonyjames, Jul 25, 2011.

1. anthonyjames

anthonyjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Port Washington, WI
    I have been trying to figure out what to do for feed out on pasture/range.

Does any one out there have any images of what they did for pasture feeders?
    My concern with feed is rain and it going bad from that?
    I am looking for something that I could put up to 100lbs of feed in if possible but I will be happy to settle with 50lbs.

I have 100 Turkeys getting ready to graduate from the tractor to 1 acre of free running and I would like to get a feeder out there as soon as possible.

thanks

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Why not make a three sided lean to with roof and have trough feeders inside to protect from the weather.

3. anthonyjames

Apr 22, 2009
    Port Washington, WI
    Three sided lean to is to heavy for me to move one a month to a new part of the pasture.

4. Peruvian

Peruvian Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Vermont
    I think you will have difficulty with 50-100lb feeders if it is at all hot and/or wet unless your feed has preservatives in it (yuk [​IMG]). You need to keep feed in a cool and dry place if it's going to be stored for more than 7-10 days. Consider how much you will likely go through in a week and build a feeder so it can fit that amount.

5. anthonyjames

Apr 22, 2009
    Port Washington, WI
    right now I am going though 250 lbs a week of feed. That is why I was hoping to make something to hold about 1/2 that amount a week in a feeder. Otherwise I keep about 350lbs in a plastic 60 gallon drum in the field and carry it in via 5 gallon buckets every day.

6. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Look on my page. The waterer or feeder could be made as big or as small as you need. You could also make the feeder double sided with a roof over to protect from weather. PM me for any details. The feeder pictured holds about 65#.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by