Homemade Sausage Gravy....Homemade Biscuits....

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by definetlydeb, Apr 10, 2011.

1. definetlydeb

definetlydeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    Tioga/Potter County
    [​IMG] So, breakfast is well underway, biscuits are bakin', sausage gravy is simmering, homefries are fryin'....then I realize.....UGGH, store boughten eggs [​IMG] .....Oh I can't wait til my peeps are layin'...now that will trully be a breakfast!!! Only 3 weeks old here...sure wish they were layin already!!!![​IMG]
    Have a great day everyone!!!!

2. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    So... [​IMG] what time is breakfast?? [​IMG]

I've got fresh eggs!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    biscuits and gravy are my favorite you know and I don't have any sausage left that is my favorite part of a pig....everyone else likes the bacon best

4. wilded

wilded Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Texas
  5. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    Wilded, I just read your blog on making bacon...sounds wonderful.....definitely on my to do list now.!

Definetlydeb, you are absolutely right you need country eggs to have a really good breakfast. I only have 2 laying until late summer so I treasure every egg. At least I can get them at the local weekly farmers' market this time of year if I need more.

6. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    Ed,
    That blog sight made me cry but the reciepe sounds great! And easy. We get a pig a year do you have a sausage reciepe on your sight. We get it made but it is sssooo fatty. Any ideas? or do I search your sight?

7. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Quote:The first pig we raised the sausage was not fatty at all, the butcher shop even commented on it being a lean pig. I also loved the sausage off this pig. After I fried up a 1.25 pound chub of sausage about a tblsp of grease. The second pig well about 2-3 tbls. but different seasonings I think cause when I make gravy for biscuits it is orange grease.....but still tastes good....makes the gravy a bit orange though.

Can you raise your own pig? So you can monitor what it is given to eat? I think it would make a big difference in the fattiness of the meat you get.

8. wilded

wilded Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Texas
    Quote:We have tried many recipes but now use Leggs Old Plantation Breakfast Sausage Seasoning. Just follow the instructions. One packet does 25 pounds and the flavor is as good as we have found. ET

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by