1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Homemade Screen Door Chick Tractor-Just had to Show you :)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenlovefever, Jul 20, 2011.

1. chickenlovefever

chickenlovefever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    So I had a little tractor build for my chicks that I was soon hatching out. Its put together with two screen doors and plywood on the opening end and wire on the other. I can easily pick it up and move it around the yard, and nothing-I repeat Nothing- can get in or get out. I have went out there a plenty of time to see my dog slobbering over the tractor, and i once saw two snakes together circling the cage. I think it is so cute and a great use for anyone with chicks. I have even had chicks at only one week old and even some silkies a few days old and I went on a put them out there, with no problem, and they are healthily grown. They have a little "stable" with a swinging door that has a roof and they sleep under. it's so adorable! And when it rains, i just drag a tarp overtop.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    The chick stable is so adorable! [​IMG]

3. chickenlovefever

Jul 19, 2011
    Yep- It came with a little toy barn I had had years ago when i was younger- It fits them perfectly, and even better yet, The barn that it came with I use for my chicks that just hatch up until they are 10 days old [​IMG] I love it, It has a little roof that comes off for the lamp, and swinging and sliding doors, and a sort of hook thingy tat i guess you would use to pull hay bales up with, it's not sharp, but i love hanging little snacks from it so that the chicks have something to peck at and play with when they get bored [​IMG]

4. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    dual purpose! I love it. Too bad they won't stay small. That would be great to have miniature chickens for your barn.

5. chickenlovefever

Jul 19, 2011
    I know [​IMG] I plan on doing some research, because I was at our county fair once, and there were these itsy bitsy chicken like things, who looked exactly like baby chickens. All fluffy and peepsy.The woman said they were adult somethings..... I think I remember her saying Something like "Button So and so....." I can't remember, but I loved them.

6. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    Quote:I think a dog or a raccoon could tear through that screen pretty easily.

1 person likes this.
  7. Mikey D

Mikey D Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Apache Junction AZ
    Very cute

Very efficient

Very repurposing

+3

8. chickenlovefever

Jul 19, 2011
    I don't know, I haven't had anything break through it yet. I walked outside the firstnight I had them out there, and there was a opossum running off. I went and checked the cage, but I didn't see were he did any damage. And the dogs are prtty protecting of the yard, and know that if they try and harm the chicks, they get in a ball of trouble. There is two Layers of screen, But I still don't think it would affect the "Breakablity" Of the screen. They are old Screens, so they are made of more of a sort of woven metal.

9. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    That stable is too cute!!

10. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:Button Quail?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by