Homemade Styro-Bator & Quail eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by riems, Jan 26, 2009.

1. riems

riems Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2009
    Well we have the bator built, based mostly on MissPrissy's design (https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8510&p=1)

The only problem was the temp was swinging a lot. I put a piece of metal between the styrofoam shell and the hot water thermostat and that seamed to help.

Also I had a problem getting the humidity up. I had a water dish in the bottom but could not get the humidity above 30%. I put in a soaked paper towel and that helped, along with placing a cool water vaporizer near the bator to "wet" the outside air around it. Now the air is comfortably between 55 and 60%.

We are attempting to hatch quail eggs, bought from Wadley Quail Farm (478-252-5245).

We order the eggs on thursday, they were shipped Saturday the 24th and arrived today around 830am. None were damaged.

After letting them sit at room temp for about 8 hours to settle they were marked with a little x and a little o on opposite sides and placed into the bator, hopefully not too close together.

The pictures make it look small, the styrofoam cooler is one of the small ones you take to the beach, I could not find the big chest ones.

Will post updates as they occur.

My only big question is... what do you do once they hatch, do you have to have food ready, do you leave them in the bator for how long? Those kinds of questions.

To think this started as the kids project and I got all wrapped up in it.

Can someone tell me how to post pictures...

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Welcome to BYC.

Yes, you need to have food and water ready for when theyhatch. 16 days incubation on these. Check TSC or your local feed store for a small quail waterer or use what you have for chicks and fill the tray with marbles. They can get their beaks in to drink and you won't have to worry about them drowning.

Here is help with photos

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=504

3. riems

riems Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2009
    Got some pics up now... Thanks MissPrissy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Are those bob white quail?

I'll warn you they aren't the nicest of quail.

5. riems

riems Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2009
    They are a trial start. My EMT partner lives on an island here and once they hatch and are ready to go he will bring them to a bird hatcher/raiser on the island.

This is a project for my kids, I wanted to make sure it all worked before we tried chickens.

6. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    What island do you live on???

7. riems

riems Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2009
    I live in Rhode Island, he lives on Prudence Island, RI.

8. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Hahahahahaha! I wasn't thinking that island.

9. GPN

GPN Got Pheasants? Nessia

Aug 6, 2008
    Snead, Alabama
    Miss Prissy why do you say the bobwhite are not the nicest? I have 8 in my bator too!!

GPN

10. riems

riems Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2009
    MissPrissy;

What are your thoughts on a Hova Bator - Circulated Air Genesis Egg Incubator w/ Electronic Therm - with automatic egg turners?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by