1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

homemade suet cakes for chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chicken Egg 17, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Does anyone know a good recipe for suet cakes for chickens in winter that has a lot of protein to help them stay warm at night and on these colder winter days when it dont get very warm out i dont really want to be collecting fat though for the suet cakes thanks all replies are welcome:)

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Not sure you need to make such, to provide the extra calories during cold weather. MOST chicken owners simply add some cracked corn to the chickens diets. Corn does generate calories that increase body heat production.
    But there is no reason not to experiment. Take a stick of butter and melt it. Into it, add wild bird seeds until all butter is absorbed and you have a paste like mixture. Place into a container, that will be easily removed, and set into freezer to congeal mixture. Not long, and you will have a semi solid brick. Give to your hens to taste/ try/ sample. If they don't like it, then set outside for songbirds. I suggest butter because margarine is hydrogenated oil , that molecule is only one atom different than vinyl siding. I believe butterfat is healthier. JMO.
    WISHING YOU BEST [​IMG]

3. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA

Thanks idk when i will be able to try it but i will have to go get some bird seed

4. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    I will let u know how they like them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by