Homemade vanilla extract. Can you use Gin? **PICS ADDED**

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Cindiloohoo, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    I have a bottle of Beefeater Gin, that I got at a yardsale [​IMG] I don't drink, but I liked the collection of old liquor bottles and have been using it as kitchen decor until I figured I could make homemade vanilla with some of it. Has anyone done this? I know you are supposed to use vodka or rum to make it, but Beefeater is supposedly the smoothest tasting Gin so would it matter? It's old... I don't think that stuff goes bad, but it is from 1985! [​IMG] Guess I could use the 33 year old whiskey if I can't use the gin, but I reaalllly like that bottle, it's a bicentennial edition of Old Weller, very pretty, and sealed adds to the charm. I really just don't want to have to drive to the liquor store either. I live in a dry county and the closest other county is a dry county as well [​IMG] That never bothered me till now [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  2. BethieofVA

BethieofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    I used vodka. I read most folks prefer vodka or rum. I have never heard of gin.

3. HenThymes

HenThymes pippin ain't easy

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    I say try it and see how it turns out! If you like it, you found a winner [​IMG] and if not, well you know never to do that again.. [​IMG]

4. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    It will work I think you will have a bit of a juniper like flavor which could be great or you may hate it, my guess is that it will be just fine, I would not hesitate yo do it.

5. Cindiloohoo

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    I did it [​IMG] It smells WONDERFUL already! It's already turning a nice color of amber and smells delicious...I dunno if I can wait long enough before trying it out [​IMG] I'll update in about 6 weeks to give it a bit of time to age to let you all know how it does. [​IMG]

ETA: Last night it smelled baked cookies beside a Christmas tree [​IMG] It no longer smells like a Christmas tree but already has a distinct vanilla scent. Not too strong, but definately vanilla and ONLY vanilla. [​IMG] I think I will like it!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  6. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Quote:How do you make it vanilla extact?

7. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA

yes. do tell!

8. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I prefer rum... but there is rarely any rum left when I get around to making it!!! [​IMG]

9. Cindiloohoo

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN

yes. do tell!

Simple. Buy some good quality vanilla beans, a bottle of whichever liquor you decide to use. For a pint use about 4 beans, split them down the center with a sharp knife, put them in the alcohol, and let them soak for 6 weeks. The alcohol naturally extracts the vanillin over time. [​IMG] Use like usual for baking and such. As you get low, top off with alcohol and add in a few beans. Oh, and duh...ya have to shake it at least once a day the first week, and once a week after that until it is properly aged. It smells heavenly!!!!!!!!

10. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Where do you get good quality beans at?

I would love to do this....I go through so much vanilla and it is expensive too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by