Homemade Waterer plans?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Bleenie, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Last week I explained to my mother how to make a feeder out of a 5gal bucket & a few other things but now she want's to make a waterer. I am not sure how to go about that with the "bucket method"... anyone have plans for a homemade waterer?

Thanks everyone [​IMG]

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Buckets work great for nipple waterers.

[​IMG]

There are three poultry nipples installed in the bottom of this bucket, near the outer edge.
    [​IMG]

Neil Grassbaugh here on BYC sells the nipples quite reasonably and with very reasonable shipping.

3. rubyrogue

rubyrogue Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Here is my waterer. I used a 5 gallon bucket and a 3 gallon water jug. Cut holes in the side of the bucket big enough for a chickens head to fit through. Get a piece of pvc big enough to go over the spout of the jug and tall enough to keep the opening of the jug at least an in above the bottom of the bucket. Drill a hole in the pvc to the level you want the water. Fill the jug put the pvc over the end and put the bucket on top then flip it all over.

ETA: Here is the original site I got it off of with better directions. http://toolmakingart.com/2008/06/10/chicken-feeders/

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by