1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Homemade Waterers

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Ilovemyladies!, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Ilovemyladies!

Ilovemyladies! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Hills of Kentucky
    Have you made any waterers? I need some inspiration to make a homemade waterer. If you can, please, post pics! Thanks!

-Shannon [​IMG]

2. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't have one to post but you can find all sorts of how to videos on YouTube, including nipple waters. [​IMG]

3. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

This one works like a charm... 4" PVC, Toilet fill valve and some hardware cloth to toad proof (Important) Found out the hard way.
    [​IMG]
    You'll need some kind of cover for the sanitary T. Anyting to keep any critters out.
    [​IMG]
    Harware cloth between valve and trough to keep critters from jamming the valve.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  4. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    [​IMG]

Five gallon bucket feeding PVC pipe into run using nipples. Plenty of instructions on doing this in the forum.

[​IMG]

The business end of the piping.

5. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    KDK1 - that is one cool waterer. I love it. Have you been using it? How has it been working?

I still like the waterer cups best for watering chickens:

[​IMG]

6. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:It's been up and running for a month now. I must admit, I did have two problems with it... they were both toads. They somehow got in through the trough and made their way to the valve and stuck it open. I added the hardware cloth between the valve and trough three weeks ago and no problems since. Easy to clean... tip it forward, hose it out, stand it back up and walk away. It fills itself with fresh clean tap water. Much more dependable than the LG waterer I have.

7. GordieH

GordieH Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    West Texas
    I am getting ready to install some waterer nipples into some 3/4" PVC piping. I will then hook it into the side of a 5-gal. plastic pail with the appropriate hoses and fittings. I have about a 4' length of PVC.

Does anyone have any tips on how to drill the holes in a straight line using an electric hand drill. I don't have a drill stand and can't justify buying one right now. Also, how far apart do you space them. I was thinking I read 6" apart in the pipe.

TY for your replies. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  8. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I use a 5 gallon bucket turned over into a metal or rubber pan and lift one edge of the bucket to wedge a rock underneath it. Lasts one pen about a week. I drop ice cubes into the pan on real hot days. It is funny to see them play with the ice and they get their faces nice and wet and they cool off very well this way.

Cost? About 6 bucks a pen and they last for years.

9. GordieH

Jul 10, 2011
    West Texas
    I have several 5 gallon plastic pails that I salvaged from some stored food. When I came across the pails, they had dry foods that had been stored in them like nuts and such from the Y2K scare. They had been stored in an outside building where the hot Texas heat and the few freezing days we have each winter had taken their toll on them. Being the scavenger I am, I refused to throw the pails away. A few lids were thrown away due to rat urine and gnaw marks on them.

What I do for my chickens right how is to use one of the pails with the lid and a large plastic bowl. I cut a slot in one side of the pail at the top about 1/2" wide and about 1" from the lip down. I can fill the bucket to the slot, put the lid back on and then tump it over in the rubber bowl. That way, I don't spill half the water turning the whole thing over. Can post a couple of pics later.

But I want to go to waterer nipples in a PVC pipe hooked to another 5-gal. pail by a plastic hose for sanitary purposes. Later I want to put a toilet bowl fill valve inside the 5-gal pail and hook it to a water line so I never run out of fresh water. The nipples are really cheap right now on ebay. And I can get a toilet fill valve at Lowes for about $8.

BTW, I really like the ingenuity of the ARCW.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  10. GordieH

Jul 10, 2011
    West Texas
    Also, if you go to grocery store bakeries and larger mom and pop bakeries, you can usually pick up plastic pails for next to nothing. Some even give them away. Most charge less than a couple of bucks apiece.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by