1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Homemade "wiggler" idea...PIC HEAVY

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Schultz, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have seen a lot of "wiggler" ideas and wanted to share mine along with instructions. It was made with, of course, help from one of my chickens and stuff I had laying around the house.
    The items I used are 1 egg, 3 clean bowls, a thumbtack, scissors, SuperGlue Gel, Aloe Vera Gel, and a meat injector syringe.
    [​IMG]
    Start by poking a hole in the bottom end of your egg with the thumbtack. Do this in your hand to insure the other end of the egg doesn't crack or break.
    [​IMG]
    Next, using scissors, break away enough of the shell so that the syringe can fit into the egg without difficulty. I made the hole about twice the diameter of the syringe.
    [​IMG]
    After you have made a big enough opening, insert the syringe, which will puncture the yolk. Carefully begin pulling back on the plunger of the syringe until the syringe is full of egg matter. Expel the egg matter into a bowl. Repeat until you can no longer remove any more.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Next, rinse your syringe and fill a bowl with very cold water. Do not use warm or hot water as it may "cook" any remaining egg matter still inside and it will be impossible to get out. Fill the syringe with cold water from the bowl and expel it into the egg. Shake the egg to clean the inside and remove the water/egg mixture with the syringe. Repeat this until the water comes out clear. It took 4 rinses for me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After your egg is clean, place the egg in a 200 degree oven for about 15 minutes to dry any remaining protein in the egg. Let cool about 10-15 minutes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Fill a bowl with enough Aloe Vera Gel to fill the egg. Fill your syringe with the gel and expel the gel into the egg until it is almost full.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Oops, I forgot about the SuperGlue Gel I bought a couple of weeks ago from the dollar store. Apply glue to the hole and let dry.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now you have a "wiggler"!
    Lastly, i reserved the egg mixture and scrambled it and put it in the microwave for 35 seconds and gave it to the chickens so nothing was wasted!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    MN
    Ohh, thats very interesting.. but what does a 'wiggler' do? What do you do with it?

3. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Umm... one problem... the point is to measure the temp inside the wiggler.... Unless I'm missing something... What is the point of putting an aloe vera gel filled egg in an incubator?

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

??? Shouldent ya put your thermometer in there before ya glue it up???

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    okay, i'm a dummy...how do you get the internal temp if you plug the hole with glue? [​IMG] i know i'm missing something here...lol..
    oops, people already asked the question.. [​IMG] sorry...

6. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Quote:I am mystifyed too [​IMG]

7. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    It gives you a more accurate reading of an egg in the incubator versus the ambient air temperature inside.

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    MN
    Oh [​IMG]

Here I thought we were doing arts and crafts! [​IMG]

9. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Yea but your still missing the fact you aren't measuring any temperature anywhere in your instructions or pics. To compare egg temp to air temp you'd have to measure the temp inside the egg.

10. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    We will tape the probe from the thermometer to it to read the temp of the egg. This will prevent damage to a hatching egg. We don't have a wiggler and don't want to try to find one. Thought it useful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by