Homemede Hay racks and feeders

MissJames

Songster
11 Years
Oct 17, 2008
Coastal SC
Has anyone made their own hay racks or feed bins for goats? I am getting a Pygmy doe and a wether once they are completely weaned around mid March.I love the idea of using what you have.My husband is a homebuilder so we made chicken feeders from 5 gallon buckets we had .Any ideas or pics?
Thanks.

Yep I have made mine and all I used was PVC pipe that was the wide diameter and cut it length wise and added legs and ends and it works wonderful ..also add holes for water drainage. I made my hay feeders out of cattle panels and cut the to the width I wanted and bent and hung on the wall, also made hay rings also but cutting the cattle panel lenght wise and bening it to where its a circle and attached the ends. Mine even love to sleep in them. If your goats have horns you will have to cut out some of the cross pieces as they will hang their horns...Just get inventive and use what you have...I did.

Hi Miss James, long time no see!

Glad you are getting your goats at last!
celebrate.gif

my husband took a pallet, sawed it in half, then he nailed the halves together in a "v" shape and added hooks to suspend it with rope from the ceiling of our little goat pen..its working out great, not a lot of wasted hay and you can adjust the height..best of all it was free!!
big_smile.png

Quote:
You missed me? LOL My 86 year old mom fractured her back in a fall and I have been out of the loop.
And guess what ??? My 2 have turned into 4! This morning I saw that my breeder had 2 Nubian doelings.I called my husband and he said go for it.So a few weeks after the itty bitties come home the Nubian's will join them.I am very excited and learning as much as I can.
Thanks to all who answered.

my hubby made a hay feeder out of wood and white lattice....the holes in the lattice are just big enough for them to stick their mouths in and grab a mouthful to eat..it has worked very well....

Quote:
Thank you! We can do that. It sounds like fun .too. Our chicken feeders were cut out from red 5 gallon buckets and are very attractive ,so it spurred me on to "use what you have".
Thanks!
ps,they will be disbudded.I have mixed feelings about that,but I have tiny grandchildren and thought it was best.

Back
Top Bottom