Homeschool- A Thomas Jefferson Education?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by HeatherLynn, Apr 15, 2012.

1. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Is anyone else doing this? Read the book? I am very curious about this. I believe this works along the lines of a classical education.

2. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    My sister teaches at a Classical Education school and my three nieces go there. I have been totally impressed by that form of educating. It is a lot of work for the teacher (or the parent in your case), but the kids end up so dang smart. The other day at dinner my 5 year old niece recited all of the books of the Bible in order for me and my 2nd grade niece recited all the kings of England in order. It was pretty impressive! They were all three readers early readers because of the emphasis placed on reading at the school and now you pretty much have to pry books out of their hands! The big two can speak intelligently about history starting with the Egyptians and going through modern times. The third grader is learning Latin already and is seeing how our modern languages relate back to certain Latin words. I can't say enough about how freaky smart it makes the kids.

My nieces are young, but my sister teaches 4th-6th grades. Her students do a LOT of writing. Her 5th graders work on research papers for all of second term. They even do fun things like mummify a chicken and have an Egyptian funeral procession to bury it (and the next year they throw a tomb raider party and dig it back up!). It is an amazing, well-rounded style of education. I don't have kids myself, but I would totally want mine to learn in that format. It seems to teach them to gather information and extrapolate an answer from there. Love it!

3. HeatherLynn

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    I am studying right now how I want to go about this. I made a tiny change at the end of this year that made me think this might work well for us. I tossed the grammar worksheets and started assigning just books and book reports. They have been doing 2 a week. HUGE HUGE HUGE improvement on writing and reading skills already. They seem to get nothing from the regular worksheet style textbooks. I am looking at adding a language this year. Not sure how well that will go when I am incapable of learning them myself. I have zero language ability.

4. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Get a really good teacher's manual. My sister is teaching Latin 1 this year and she had zero latin experience going into it. She just stays a couple of pages ahead of the kids. Latin is an easy one to start with because it is not in common usage, it's not a spoken langueage, but it will improve their reading skills. Plus it later translates into all of the romance languages.

That reading and writing practice is great. If a kid is a good reader than the rest of the subjects are no big deal.

Math is a little different. I can't remember what math program they use, but it reviews every single concept they have mastered every single night. There is one of everything on the homework. They never get a chance to forget stuff. My sister loves it.

5. HeatherLynn

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Thankfully Math is an easier one for me despite having a hard time finding a decent book. I LOVE math. Over the summer I plan on teaching myself trig and calculus. I did not take those in high school. I finished up level maths for my Bachelors in Accounting though so it should be easy. I breezed through everything so......I find myself getting a bit distracted at times and straying from the book to cover something I feel they did not cover properly. I would love to find a great book but thats still an ongoing search.

I am ordering books to help me with this before the summer so I have time to learn before the kids.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by