Homeschool Science Project

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Peep Talk, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Peep Talk

Peep Talk Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Fort Loudon, PA
    My mom is homeschooling my younger two brothers and I decided that I would collect eggs from my flock and take the incubator to her for a really cool science project. I have never let anyone borrow my incubator before or let them hatch my babies before either so I am going a little crazy. [​IMG] Today is the day that they are supposed to start hatching, and noone has started pipping yet. [​IMG] Has anyone else done this before? I'm hoping to get some babies out of this hatch but I am so worried.

2. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    We were doing it as a homeschool project now it is more of a pet thing and my son will still be learning about chicks over the next 21 days, but right now we are just in days 3 and 4 and this is the first time we have EVER done anything like this. We are 'regular' pet people, so anything beyond a dog, cat, rabbit is way new and totally unknown. [​IMG]

Has your mom ever hatched eggs before? Did you tell her how to do everything or have you been helping??

I wish you luck and your mom too.

3. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    Quote:Chicks can't read the calendar. [​IMG] Wait until day 25 to start to worry. That gets you through the weekend, before you have babies to watch over. Enjoy

4. Peep Talk

Apr 25, 2010
    Fort Loudon, PA
    My mom has never hatched eggs before and has no clue as to what she is looking for. I have given her directions and sent her example pictures of what to look for when they are pipping and such. However, I am unable to be there to help her out as we live 2 hours away from one another. I think that is why I am worried about how well everything will go.
    Good luck on yours! [​IMG]

5. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Quote:I think it is 'Mommy Jitters'. [​IMG] I have that right now and we still have a LONGGGGGGG way to go. I am worried mainly for my son, he has asperger's syndrome and gets very upset, especially when animals pass away. I have been talking to him and telling him that we may not get any babies and well, we'll see.

Good Luck

6. Peep Talk

Apr 25, 2010
    Fort Loudon, PA
    Quote:Well I certainly hope that you get some babies for his sake! They definitely do get the jitters going once you get closer to the hatch date. I was doing really well up until lockdown. Now I am asking all the time if she has any pips and it's driving me nuts because I'm not sure that she knows what to look for. [​IMG]

7. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Are you close enough to go check them? Maybe candle one or two?

8. Peep Talk

Apr 25, 2010
    Fort Loudon, PA
    Quote:I'm two hours away from my mom's house, and I am a full time student throughout the week so it is impossible to get there just for a quick visit. [​IMG]

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Does your mom have a digital camera and computer??? If so she could take pictures of eggs that may be "doing something" and you could give her advice

10. Peep Talk

Apr 25, 2010
    Fort Loudon, PA
    Quote:I sent her pictures of what a pip looks like from beginning to almost zip and she says none of them have anything on them yet. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by