Homeschoolers, a question for ya

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Robin'sBrood, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Do you know where I can find something related to chickens for my kids to use to learn more about their birds, maybe a unit study? They are 10 & almost 7 and everything I've found so far looks kind of preschool-ish. TIA!

2. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
  3. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    I haven't seen any formal unit study on chickens geared towards your age kids. Could you put something together using books like Gail Damerow's YOUR CHICKENS: A KIDS GUIDE? (which is the book being reviewed by my daughter in all the "vote for Olivia's videos threads" see it here - and vote!: http://www.storytubes.info/vote/final_videos.php)

That's
    the only one I know of that's specifically about chickens and appropriate for your age kids. It has a lot of good info, though, about breeds and history and biology and life cycles and stuff. You could pretty easily use it as a spine and find fill-ins around the main points she covers! I'll bet your local library could inter-library-loan it for you if they don't carry it.

Good luck!
    Stacey

4. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Thank y'all, I think I'm going to just print out some things and make my own book. I'll see if our library carries the Your Chickens book too.

5. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
  6. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Are you familar with KONOS curriculum? I love their unit studies. We use them to enrich our current program. In the KONOS curriculum, volume 1, there is section under Patience (this curriculum uses character building themes) called Animal Birth/Growth Unit. There is an entire unit on eggs, with lots of recommended books, science experiments, vocabulary words, reasoning, arts/crafts, etc. There are always very creative activities on each lesson. This particular book has lesson plans for children from elementary to upper grades. My children are 10 and 12 and we have used this book for close to 3 years and I am getting ready to buy the next volume. Though it is intended for a complete curriculum, I just use this for enrichment.

Hope this helps.

7. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    My kids have been begging to do a unit on how a chicken forms. Thanks for asking this question! It helps me out too! [​IMG]

8. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
  9. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:I will have to hold on to this link for the future! Great information!

10. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Hey Douglas Peeps! You're in Colorado! Hiya neighbor! I'm up in Elizabeth myself - are you a homeschooler? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by