Homeschoolers? Answer needed please...

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Camelot Farms, Sep 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

DD is refusing....adamently refusing to go to school anymore. She is in 3rd grade.

Can I homeschool her? As in, is it hard? Complicated? Expensive?

Someone please talk me into it or out of it...

H e L p

2. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    I have homeschooled. It is not hard or expensive, especially if you have good local libraries.

HOWEVER, I would be looking very hard at why the child doesn't want to go to school. I think that is your first step. Talk to her teacher. Spend some time at the school. Is there a bullying situation? Are the teacher's methods at odds with the child's temperament?
    Another thing: If your child is having trouble learning, due to a disability or other issue, you need to have a handle on that before you pull her from school. You might have to work the system very skillfully in order to get support services as a homeschooler.

Good luck!

3. Camelot Farms

Thanks CM!

DD has anxiety issues and this year they have begun switching classes for different subjects and she spends most of her day worrying about what class is next, will she get there on time, will she have everything that she needs.

She makes herself physically ill with the stress.

She is one of those children who needs a lot of structure and needs things to be planned and then have things go according to plan.

She is extremely sensitive and this has been a problem every year since she started school. This year just seems especially difficult.

She is an excellent student. A's across the board and one of the top readers in her grade. Thankfully that isnt one of the issues.

I'm feeling helpless and stressed this morning!

4. deb1

deb1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    For young children, history can be done through the library and probably science also.

If you are Catholic then St Elizabeth Ann Seton has some inexpensive homeschool items. If you are Protestant, I believe that Rod and Staff's material is inexpensive. If you are secular then you are going to have to do more research, but I bet people on this boad could give provide you with links to material.

Each state has different laws so you will have to research your own state. Some states will allow you to do virtual public school on line.

5. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I agree with Chickenmaven in that first you need to know exactly why she doesn't want to go to school. I homeschooled Steven for a very long time but as I'm a teacher anyway it was very easy for me. The reason I took him out was that I felt the teacher he had wasn't qualified to teach a dog to sit (yes a coworker of mine) and the other classes were overcrowded so moving him was not an option. Then I discovered that with his advanced thinking I could challenge him at home better and keep him occupied. We had night school since I day-schooled in the district.

You have to be sure you are qualified to do it yourself and a lot of people will get angry with me here but I'm going to say it anyway since I am a past homeschooler. Too many people like to take their kids out of public school to homeschool or unschool and they hurt thier kids doing it. It isn't as easy as a lot of people think to school even a 2nd or 3rd grader at home and have them at the same level as those around them in traditional school. Look at the curriculum at her school before you decide, then go to several teacher's stores in your area and check out what they have to offer. There are also a ton of websites to help you out now that weren't there when I started homeschooling so that helps out.

First find out why she doesn't want to go, tell her she HAS to tell you exactly why she doesn't want to go so you can help her deal with whatever it is bothering her. If it is something serious it needs to be dealt with no matter whether you choose to homeschool or not.

Second, evaluate her learning style, where she is, your capabilities and whether or not you have the ability to enforce learning at home. You have to be strict in letting the child know that she is at home to learn, not have extended playdays. One mistake I've seen so many make is that they take the child out of school and decide to spend the first few days, or first week, taking time off and enjoying each other being at home. That sets a bad precedence and you may have trouble getting them into a set routine after that. I always recommend take the first couple of days together to go look at learning materials, go through websites, sit and make your schedule together, especially if it will be like I had to do and do my homeschooling in the evenings. During the day he was with my mom and I could count on her to enforce daytime chores or assignments I would leave, so that was very handy.

Whatever you do good luck and I hope it all works out!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  6. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    Quote:I agree....All my kids at some point would ask me to homeschool them because they hated school. Usually it was b/c they had a bad day, someone picked on them, teacher yelled etc. Anyway that would pass and the year would go on. Well I know currently homeschool all my kids because of lifestyle changes and I would say that it's not hard or expensive. Our kids used to go to a private catholic school and compared to the cost of sending them there, we were about to purchase prepackaged curriculums at a fraction of the cost. It can be for next to nothing if, like chickmaven said, you have a library near you. I didn't have the time or patience to create a curriculum for all my kids so I went the route with an already planned out one as well as a syllabus which tells them what to do daily. Good luck!!! [​IMG]

7. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    That is the same grade that I pulled my first child out of school and haven't regretted one moment of it.

You will first need to find out what your bylaws are there by calling the school board and ask to speak to the person who is over homeschooling. They will be able to give you better advice as to what is required for homeschooling in your district than we can.

Homeschooling can be as expensive as you want to make it be. There are numerous websites that sell used curriculum if you choose to go with used books.

First, find out what the laws there are and then do your homework on curriculum. [​IMG]

8. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    I home school one of my daughters... she was failing the 7th grade for the second time...plus she failed another grade...and held back because of her maturity when she was in pre k... we were told she would never graduate do to her age... she would have been 17 in the seventh grade this year...(same school who passed my nephew even though he was failing because he would be 17 and they didn't want him with the younger girls-talk about sexest a 17 year old girl will get in the same amount of trouble messing with younger boys) she has a learning disability and they were not following her 504 plan... and we got tired of it... my daughter is doing 100 percent better at homeschooling in the subjects she was failing in school... it works for us

I do agree that you need to find out why she no longer wants to go to school... I think she will get used to having to change classes.
    I have help from others with my homeschooling when there is something that I can't do... my best friends husband helps with the math when we need it. and research homeschooling materials ... ther is alot of resources online... I wish you the best...

I looked up my homeschooling by laws for texas and got them... you should be able to look up your states also

9. Camelot Farms

We have already identified why she is not wanting to go to school. It is all based on anxiety. It isnt something that she will get used to. She literally becomes physically ill about school.

She is a popular child, socially adept, quick learner, no bullying issues, loves her teachers. So, we have ruled out all of the typical problem areas.

We are willing to try homeschooling for her emotional wellbeing.

Cross your fingers.

10. grandmaof5

grandmaof5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Central N.S.
    I homeschooled DD for one year; it was a transitional year (first year of junior high) and we decided it was best for that one year. The program I used was called Alpha-Omega. I called the school and told them to register her as a home-schooler, and they were happy to do so. They even told me that if I wanted her to be part of their field trips she was welcome. I contacted a local home-school group and we went on THEIR outings, with them, as a group.

Homeschooling isn't about letting a child not go to school. It is about offering what is better for the child AT THAT POINT in his/her life. It was only necessary for us to do it one year. Meticulous records need to be kept (we kept track of how much time was spent on EACH subject), so your state (or province) doesn't accuse you of not providing schooling for your child. I found it best to have 20 minute 'periods' with 5-10 minute breaks between each. The more organized you are (or appear to be) the less likely you'll have truancy officers knocking at your door.

All the best if you decide to do it.

Btw, my daughter is now married with 6 children of her own. She home-schooled 3 of them for one year, as the local school wasn't the best. After that, they were posted to another area. [​IMG]

My sister in law has a child with Anxiety Disorder, and he has benefited immensely from counselling...he is 9 now, but every day since he first started school at age 5 he made himself sick starting at supper the night before...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by