Homeschoolers>>>>>Do you use Math U See

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by tobin123, Aug 4, 2010.

1. tobin123

tobin123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    fountaintown,indiana
    So I have been looking into Math U see and I need to know if it is GOOD or BAD???Any help.My son has struggled in Math and we are trying to learn Multiplication,I just don't think what I am doing is helping.
    Thanks

2. mommyofthree

mommyofthree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    I am going to start homeschooling my oldest this year, but she's only going into Kindergarten so I'm sorry I don't have any experience with Math U See!! Though I have heard a lot of great things about it. If you have a FB account there are a lot of great resources there. I LOVE The Old Schoolhouse Magazine page, I have posted questions there and asked them to repost the question to their profile and I've gotten 50+ great responses. Here's a link to that, and also a link to the Math U See page. I love FB, lol.
    http://www.facebook.com/theoldschoolhouse
    http://www.facebook.com/mathusee?ref=search#!/mathusee?v=wall&ref=search

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I used it in algebra, geometry and trig. I had to retake algebra and my mom switched to Math U See since the other book wasn't working. It helped.
    I didn't use it when I was younger though, but if what you are doing didn't work then it's definitely worth a shot!

4. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh, glad to know about this.

We're using Time4Learning (first time trying HS) for our 7th and 2nd graders... so far so good, though DS thinks it's a little hokey. They don't offer classes past 8th though so trying to think ahead... good to know there's a good math program out there.

5. KinderKorner

KinderKorner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I used from 6th - geometery.

Switched to teaching text books after that.

It was a good program. I haven't decided if it was my favorite. I always liked saxon when I was little. But everyone says that is no fun, and it's been so long I really can't remember.

Just my opinion I hated watching the Math U See videos. I liked it overall. But I never watched the videos and probably missed out on a lot.

I really liked Teaching Textbooks. Its nearly the same. [​IMG]

6. urbanfarmer101

urbanfarmer101 Chillin' With My Peeps

I looked at MathUSee and decided that I didn't want to use manipulatives for every single lesson.
    I have been looking at Miquon math (uses some manipulatives) and Singapore. I have heard and read many testimonials about Singapore. Sounds like you need to start with that by second grade for your kids to really get it, but, it seems like the best program for actually teaching the kids math. Seems like many like to team Miquon and Singapore together.

You can do a search for online testing for any of these math books so you know what book to place your kids in.

My son tested into 3rd year Abeka (lame math in my opinion) 2nd year in Saxon (I hear from many it is very boring) and tested 2nd in Singapore and LifePac. LifePac is good. It does a great job of explaining math He also tested 2nd level in this one. So I too am on a quest to teach math and find the right method. Mathusee looked very cool, but to purchase the items was quite expensive, and it requires me finding space for one more organizational cube.

7. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

We also use Time for Learning but I didnt care much for the multiplication section after the initial explanation of how multiplication and addition were related.
    We just used lots and lots of repitition, flash cards, work books etc.

Good luck!

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:First question is does he understand the concept of what multiplication IS? That it is repetitive addition? Do you have manupulatives for him to use so that he can create each written problem? How old is he? I don't homeschool, but the math curriculum I liked when they were young was Open Court (liked their reading and phonics, too).

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Hmmm, what was it about their explanation that you disliked?

10. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Quote:Hmmm, what was it about their explanation that you disliked?

SS, their explanation was the ONLY part that I liked, [​IMG] after that the drills that they used confused her more than helped her. So we used their explanatory portion and then went out on our own using workbooks and internet games etc. Normally we love Time4Learning! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by